1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fred Thompson Campaign Already Falling Apart?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Jul 28, 2007.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Analgesic

Analgesic New Member

I doubt it. If he were a Democrat then I'd agree, but there's just too much of a Republican opening for him not to at least take a shot at it.

3. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

The op article does not support the title of this thread. sorry.:BangHead:

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The title fits my musing about a potential Fred Thompson candidacy.

I didn't say it fit the article.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see much of an opening. The GOP presidential nomination is pretty much Giuliani's to lose. The neo-"conservatives" now pretty much control the GOP, especially in the area of foreign policy, and Giuliani is their candidate.

6. 2 Timothy2:1-4

The title makes a claim that is unprove and untrue. Personal musings or not it was presented as fact. Since it is not fact the title lacks reality. Nor does it speak to the potential candidacy since it lacks reality.

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess you didn't see the "?" in the title, eh, Timmy?

There was no claim or fact presented in the title. It was a question that I was musing on.

You do know the difference, Timmy, between a statement and a question, don't you? :)

8. Analgesic

Analgesic New Member

I agree. But simply because it's Giuliani's to lose in no way means that he's already won. As far as front runners go he's an awfully weak one. The only reason he's in front is that Romney's a Mormon from Massachusetts whose record simply isn't going to fly in the Bible belt.

9. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Your right I have now put on my glasses.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. Which is why it looks like the GOP presidential candidate will be creamed in next year's election by Senator Clinton.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ken , what makes you so sure that Thompson will be creamed by Hillary ? My assumption is that Thompson will be the Republican candidate . He'll beat back the other Republicans . Do you think Clinton has that much popularity among rank-and-file Americans ? i rather seriously doubt it .

12. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I think Thompson could win by a landslide. He would get the votes of all republicans, and most conservatives. I can't think of many conservatives who would vote for Guiliana.

However, if the republican party keeps trying to appease the masses and play the middle of the road, they'll get run over by the Hillary/Whomever truck.

13. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps a better question would be, "Do you think Republicans have that much popularity among rank-and-file Americans?"

Hillary's greatest strength for her Democratic base is that she's Bill's wife. Star-power X 10.

Hillary's greatest strenght for the swing voters is that she's not George Bush and doesn't support George Bush. They don't have to like her, but they'll vote for her if the Republicans just run a Bush foreign policy clone.

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If things don't improve drastically in Iraq by November 2008 the GOP as a whole will be slaughtered at the ballot box.

Remember, George W. Bush barely won the past two elections. Just one state having a different result would have changed who won. And people remember the prosperous 1990's and a nation that didn't have to worry about being attacked internally by foreigners when Senator Clinton's husband was president.

Not that I will vote for Senator Clinton. I will be voting for my party's, the Libertarian Party, presidential candidate.

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. And Fred Thompson is definitely a George W. Bush clone - just with a deeper voice and who knows how to pretend to be a character on TV.

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No way. If Bush barely won in 2004 when the Iraq conflict was still at least halfway supported by the voters why do you think that Thompson could win in a landslide when the Iraq conflict is a total mess that the voters want the U.S. out of?

17. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I thought you were for Ron Paul. You think he will run again as a Libertarian?

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am for Ron Paul for president. But I harbor no expectation that he will win the GOP presidential nomination.

My expectation is that the Democrats will nominate Senator Clinton and that the Republicans will nominate former Mayor Giuliani.

And if that is the case I will hope that Senator Clinton wins, for one reason just so that the warvangelicals in our nation will be extremely upset. Also, I really don't see where former Mayor Giuliani would be any better in the area of liberty than Senator Clinton would be. They would both be a disaster in that regard.

#18 KenH, Jul 29, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2007
  19. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Newt may have to take up the reigns of the GOP. No one accuses him of being soft on terror, nor pandering to the left.

20. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, someone without a moral compass would fit the GOP to a T.