1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fred Thompson

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Dragoon68, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That link doesn't work.

It works now.

#2 KenH, Mar 5, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  3. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

He has not announced

He is not running ...you could try and draft him or start a draftFred site.

He does rub elbows with Hollywood and has played the same character pretty much in the movies and on televison.

His name was bantered about at CPAC I hear ,but ol Ann had to blot out the sun and suck all the oxygen out of the place and Fred did not get much press.

I want to say he is a strong supporter of John McCain

4. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

It sure would make things interesting if he did join the race. None of the current contenders could take him in a debate - Fred is very polished, very eloquent and very good on camera.

Didn't he work for then-Senator Howard Baker during the Watergate hearings though? The ultra-right-wing faction of the party will not likely forgive him for that.

Regards,
    BiR

5. North Carolina Tentmaker

I would sure vote for Fred. He is the first canidate mentioned I could get excited about. Here is another link.

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=19689

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I'm no sure it is accurate to say he worked for Senator Baker any more than it would be accurate to say that Sam Dash worked for Senator Ervin. They were the two lead counsels of the Senate Committee for the 'Watergate' hearings. Of course, then Sam Dash had no hair on top and (Sen.) Fred Thompson had a lot. Today it would be neither in the hair department. :laugh: :laugh: But I have liked an do like Fred Thompson, and think his abilities and talents are superior to most in either party and that he would make a good chief executive, but I don't expect him to run, in any way.

Ed

#6 EdSutton, Mar 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2007
  7. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Thompson's claim to fame in the Watergate hearings is that he is the one who asked the question that revealed that Nixon was taping conversations in the Oval Office. Remember Rosemary Woods and the 18 1/2 minute gap?

Tim Reynolds

8. North Carolina Tentmaker

9. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

In my quick scan on that web site, I couldn't disagree with anything. I could support him.

10. trainbrainmommy

trainbrainmommy New Member

Can't you just picture Fred looking at Hillary like she is a gnat? :laugh: I would love to see that!!!!

I have no respect for her after reading Barbara Olsen's books - Hell To Pay and the Final Days.

GO FRED! I could get fired up about supporting a true conservative like him!

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I'd like to see opposing tickets of Fred Thompson and 'Jeb' Bush (who BTW I think and have thought was and is far more politically astute, a better administrator, and more 'able', if not electable, than his more famous brother) vs. Bill Richardson and either Sam Nunn or Joe Lieberman, where I would not be a all 'scared' of the outcome, but that ain't never going to happen with either party.

Ed

#11 EdSutton, Mar 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2007
  12. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

That would be a very good ticket.

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Not a bad idea. Certainly head and shoulders above the top three republicans announced so far.

14. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's supposedly going to be "big news" on FAUX News tomorrow, mabe THE announcement.:

This "can't forgive Baker"speculation is bunk, they don't know how different the GOP really is. And a Fred v. Hillary debate would be very entertaining.

15. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that he will have to run although I would miss him on television. Here is what he said today,
    "I'm going to wait and see what happens.... "I want to see my colleagues on the campaign trial, what they say, what they emphasize, whether they can carry the ball next November."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,258220,00.html

Okay, I will say that I am leaning towards Fred Thompson.

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just don't see Fred Thompson as being a viable presidential candidate. He may be a likable person but I don't think that simply being likable will get him the GOP presidential nomination.

It is more likely that he will fill Paul Harvey's position after Mr. Harvey retires.

17. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why shouldn't Fred Thompson run? He would be a natural Republican choice since he supports the Reagan platform and since he supports the efforts of President Bush to do what is right in the war. That is where most of the Republican party is politically. Fred Thompson would represent the average conservative Republican very well.

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think that Fred Thompson has the fire in the belly to run for president. If he did he would have at least been talking about it a couple of months ago.

19. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I assume that you are against Fred Thompson then? Is it because of this statement that he made today:

"Wars are full of mistakes. You rectify them. I think we are doing that now....We've got to give it a chance to work."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,258220,00.html

20. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I am not against Thompson. I just don't think that he will run.

It makes a lot more sense that you, as a Christian, would support someone like Thompson instead of someone like Guiliani.

#20 KenH, Mar 11, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2007