1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fred Thompson

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by menageriekeeper, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

And what about this:

Does any of this count as a political career? (Besides, mind you, his being a Senator, lobbyist, and running for president.)

2. North Carolina Tentmaker

I guess you could say it does, but I would not. None of those were elected positions so I would not count them. I guess you could count 2 as a political job because he was working with an election campaign. 4 and 7 are consistent with his work as a lawyer and 8 is consistent with his work as an actor.

To me a career politician is someone who stays in elected office and defines themselves as a politician. There is an incredible danger if people stay in office for long periods of time that they begin to look out for their own interests and are more concerned with re election than anything else.

With this in mind I would love to see term limits passed for federal office like they are in many states. There is no reason for a senator to serve more than two terms. House terms are short so I would probably allow them 3, but after 6 years in office they aught to get out and let someone else in. They should go back to their primary career. If they don’t have a primary career other than elected office than that is a real problem. But congress will never pass term limits just like they will never cut spending in their own districts. They have to much at stake personally.

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

When is the first debate Fred Thompson will participate in?