1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Frederick Danker passes away

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by preachinjesus, Feb 6, 2012.

1. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The "D" in BDAG's Greek lexicon has passed away.

http://ntresources.com/blog/?p=1492

Danker, of BDAG fame, died (Febraury 2, 2012). He was 91 or 92 (b. 1920, but I don’t know the specific date). His contribution to NT scholarship is one of the most substantial in recent history—and that would be true if he had done nothing other than edit BDAG, but he also made other contributions. (See the bibliography of his other work in the 2004 Festschrift: Biblical Greek Language and Lexicography: Essays in Honor of Frederick W. Danker, ed. B. Taylor, J. Lee, R. Burton, and R. Whitaker [Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2004]; I posted a summary of that book when it was published.) My tribute to his “next to last” major project can be found as my “BDAG page“; his last project, so far as I know, was his Concise Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament, a 400 page lexicon published in 2009. (A 400 page lexicon can only be called “concise” by comparison with the 1,100 pages of BDAG!) This was not an abridgment of BDAG, but a new work (though obviously dependent in many ways on the larger lexicon). I thank God for Prof. Danker’s contribution to biblical studies. No beginning student should be without the Concise Lexicon, and no serious student of the Greek of the NT who has gotten beyond first year should be without BDAG (in addition to CL.)

2. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Thank God for people that He gives to the Church as as this scholar!

When was his concise lexicon published, 2009?

Curious did not pick one up, as I have one but was much older dated, maybe in the 70's?