1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Free book came in the mail.

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Pastor_Bob, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This week, I received free, unsolicited, through the mail, a book entitled, The Believer's Conditional Security - Eternal Security Refuted by Daniel D. Corner, published by Evangelical Outreach in Washington, PA.

Has any other pastor received this book or heard of this author?

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think he runs a website for the same purpose.

3. Paul1611

Paul1611 New Member

Yes, my Pastor received the book also, as did many Pastors free of charge. My Pastor trashed it after looking it over.

4. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

I got it here in Maine and I know of one in PA. also that called me on the same book. "Conditional" Security is like saying there is a "good" devil. It just doesn't make sense! Why would a fellow waste so much time writing against something a forth grader could prove with no difficulty?

5. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Naw---I ain't never heard of him----BUT(and its a big one)---Blackbird prophesies that a one Pastor Bob will be on this dude's "mailin' list" until the Rapture/Resurrection!!!

6. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

My husband received the book a couple of weeks ago and proceeded to trash it...

7. JoeKan

JoeKan Member

I received mine the other day. I called them up (got the answering machine). Told them I wasn't interested and not to send me anything else. Also asked them what to do with the book--either send it back to them or if I didn't hear from them, I'd trash it.

8. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Did anyone read the book? I know its 800 pages, kinda the Goliath of lose your salvation books. Surely it must contain some points that need to be addressed.

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Haven't gotten it, don't want it :smilewinkgrin:

10. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd like to have a copy just to see what he has to say.

I highly doubt it would change my views, but I'd like to see some of his arguments.

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I haven't heard a new argument against the Biblical doctrine of the believer's security in forever :saint:

I guess I might skim the book, but my time is at a premium in more worthwhile studies.

12. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I highly doubt I'd actually read the whole thing either!

13. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I got this book too, and i seriously doubt i will read it because i have much better things to do than read 800 pages of unbiblical psychobabble.
    I will keep it though and put it on the same shelf as the book of mormons, NWT bibles, and other pseudo-Christian and cult materials i use when i teach apologetics.

Here is my question though...how did these people get ALL of our addresses?

14. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

Hello everyone.

I read your posts about the book. Three years ago, I ordered that book by myself by through Corner's site. It is very good.

Myself used to believe in unconditional security salvation for long time. Because of what I learned it from independent fundamental baptist churches, college, and books years ago. In my mind of a word, 'fundamental' means sound firm doctrine and strong standard, also, base upon God's Word. Often, IFB people say, "I am a Bible Believer." Because of KJV. I thought IFB teaching the truths from the Bible. But, throughout years, the more I found out that IFB have too many errors on their intepreting scriptures. I really disappoint with IFB.

First, I was pretrib before. Till I realized the Bible teaches us, that we must face tribulations first before Christ comes - John 16:33; Acts 14:22; etc. Whilst at the same time, I still believe in security salvation same as what baptists believe. I used to believe two things that a Christian could lose salvation 1. if any perosn take word away fro God's Word, then God willt ake person's name out of the book of life - Rev. 22:18-19. Second, if any person receive the mark of beast or worship the beast, will cast into lake of fire (Rev. 13:10-18; and Rev. 14:9-12).

Later, the more I reading through scriptures. Matthew 25:30 bothered me the mostly, it talks about a wicked servant shall be cast away into outer darkness. It is clearly conflict with unconditional security salvation doctrine.

I have been struggle with God's Word on unconditional security salvation for three years. Finally, I determined left unconditional security salvation doctrine, and to follow God's Word 100% in 2003.

I ordered that book. And I did read throigh 801 pages of that book in 4 days. I really enjoy read it. It have lot of verses. Mostly quoted from NIV. But, it doesn't bother me at all. Long as I look at KJV. There is no difference between NIV and KJV. Both are same doctrine.

I think most of you seem not willing to read that book, you just trashed it away.

Dan Corner have big heart by send hundreds of book to Christians, pastors - free. He doesn't need money. God bless Corner's faith. Because he is burden for Christians' soul. I respect him so well.

One person saying in previous post, that he put that book on the shelf with Mormon books. If you think that book is cult or false teaching. I ask you why not willing to open your eyes in that book.

But, Bible comes first before all other books. Bible have answer everything. I urge you to study Bible. There is so much overwhelmed proofs in the Bible teaching conditional security salvation from Genesis to Revelation. I do not find a single verse anywhere in the Bible teaching unconditional security salvation. There are so much warnings in the Bible. No way that we can afford to ngelect God's Word, we must take heed and listen God's Word.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 -Amen!

15. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

16. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

Mexdeaf,

Please go to 'Baptist Theology/Bible Study' thread, read my new topic - "Book come in the mailbox".

Because this topic is for fellwoship, not doctrine debate. Thanks.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 - Amen!

17. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't Throw It Away!

==I am not a pastor so I did not get my free copy :laugh: . I had to purchase my copy several years ago (1997 first edition). I still have it in my library with Robert Shank's "Life In The Son". Mr Corner has been on a campaign, of sorts, against eternal security and those who teach it for several years. I have, from time to time, exchanged emails with Mr Corner and his ministry.

Mr Corner's book is a very interesting read for several reasons...

First he makes alot of classic arguments against eternal security. Many of his arguments are, what I will call, textbook conditional security arguments. Therefore if a person is not familiar with the arguments put forward by many lay-level conditional security advocates this book serves as a good "here is what they believe".

Second Mr Corner goes after many eternal security advocates. His main targets are Charles Stanley, Zane Hodges, RT Kendall, John Calvin, and John MacArthur (among others). Stanley, btw, gets more than his share of attention by Mr Corner. Corner has even written a book about Charles Stanley. I think that is to be expected since Dr Stanley has written a popular book on the subject of eternal security and gives alot of sermons on the topic as well. Sadly Mr Corner has, at times, allowed his campaign to cause him to misrepresent or give a slanted view of certain teacher's positions.

Thirdly while Mr Corner does believe that initial salvation is by grace through faith, he also seems to believe that final salvation is dependent upon works (maintaining good works, etc). I am sure Mr Corner would object strongly to this point but, after reading many of his works and his book, I think it is fair point. See chpt 5 of his book.

Fourth several major eternal security passages are not discussed (at least in the first edition) such as John 6:38-39. Mr Corner has added a article on his website dealing with that particular passage. However the article is, from a textual point of view, very problematic and I think he would have a hard time defending it under pressure. The same can be said of his view of John 10:27-30. While he attempts to deal with this verse in his book, his position is hard to defend when challenged.

Finally I would say that Mr Corner often assumes a verse teaches conditional security and then uses it to "refute" those who disagree with him. However he rarely examines some of these passages carefully and lays out why he thinks the other understanding is wrong. Rather his understanding is presented and then assumed for the rest of the book. That, in my opinion, is a major weakness of the book.

However I don't believe this book should be trashed by any pastor or Christian interested in defending the faith. You need to know Mr Corner's arguments well because, I assure you, if you preach/talk about this issue long enough you will run into someone who has been influenced by Corner's arguments.

A good book that promotes conditional security is "Life In The Son" by Robert Shank. This book is much less radical and presents a balanced view of eternal security. Shank actually tries to fairly represent the aruguments of those he disagrees with and he avoids attacking people with whom he disagrees. He also is much more able to acknowledge that certain issues, such as the salvation of Judas, are uncertain and that good arguments can be made for both views. While I disagree with many of Shank's arguments I found his book to be a very interesting and good read.

Another good book on the subject is "Four Views On Eternal Security".

Personally I now limit the amount of debate I willing to do on this topic. God's people, and let me say that again "GOD's PEOPLE", have disagreed on this issue for many years. Nothing I say will change that in fact nobody is going to hell because they do or do not believe in eternal security. Therefore I am not going to let this issue cause division between myself and other Christians with whom I disagree on this subject. Many of my "conditional security" friends are Godly people who seek to follow and proclaim Jesus Christ. I would also dare to say that the majority of them do not take the aggressive stance of Dan Corner and, often, disagree with points he makes.

George Whitefield and John Wesley were two Christian friends who disagreed, sometimes strongly, on this issue. Yet when his friend Whitefield died, John Wesley preached a wonderful message at his funeral. While the issue of Calvinism/Arminianism did divide these two friend's ministries it did not divide their friendship.