1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Free Computer Help

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Joshua2415, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Joshua2415

Joshua2415 New Member

Hey, just wanted to throw this out here. I'm a computer guy with advanced knowledge of Windows, Mac OS X, and UNIX itself who likes to help his fellow man (and woman) with computer problems they may have. Before you go spend hundreds of dollars with Geek Squad, give me a PM or get in touch with me somehow--I'll give you the help I can. I'm good with the following (not all inclusive):

1. Virus removal
    2. Spyware removal and immunization
    3. Data recovery (to an extent)
    4. Windows setup
    5. Mac OS X setup
    6. Speeding up/optimizing Windows/Mac/Linux
    7. UNIX (big iron) issues
    8. Computer hardware (desktop/laptop/server)
    9. Internet connection issues
    10. Printing
    11. Computer buying decisions
    12. MS Office
    13. Programming (C/C++/Java)

So if you're :type: but then suddenly you're :BangHead: let me know and I'll try to help you before you go spend money on computer repair. I'll help with both church or personal computers. I have limited website design experience, if you need a little bit of help with that. Even if I can't help, I can at least provide advice. Ask away!

EDIT: If it's something urgent, email is best.

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anytime you can keep the help on the board would be a help to all us hacks that like to learn:smilewinkgrin::tongue3:

Thanks for the kind offer.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks for the offer!

I do have a problem. When I run my CA spyware scan, I get 2 problems.

1. CWS.SmartSearch Threat level: low to medium, Category: hijacker
    2. Ezula Threat level: low to medium, Category: adware

I cannot quarantine them or delete them.

4. Joshua2415

Joshua2415 New Member

Try starting Windows in safe mode. To do this, reboot the computer. After the computer manufacturer's logo disappears and the screen goes black, before the Windows logo appears, press and hold F8 until a text menu appears. Select "Safe Mode" and let Windows boot. It will be in a low resolution and you'll see a lot of text scroll by. Once you're in safe mode, run your scanner again and see if it can delete them then. Safe Mode doesn't start a lot of the stuff Windows normally starts (even spyware) and might allow you to delete them. It's hard to delete running spyware if it's got its roots in the operating system during runtime.

If that doesn't work, make a boot CD with a popular spyware/antivirus and run from there. If you need details on that, let me know.

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Big issue.

Hard drive crashed on my main laptop (under warrenty - yeah!) so I am using my Acer netbook. Trying to connect HP Color Laserjet 3600. Driver loaded, Windows 7 (Starter) recognises it, sets it as default printer, but won't print. I just get an error message in the print job queue.

Any ideas?

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did a quick search on CA spyware and "won't"; others have had the same problem with this program finding but not deleting stuff. One person went so far as to say, uninstall CA and install something else (their suggestion was AVG).

I'd say give Joshua's suggestion a try and see what happens.

7. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Roger, apparently a lot of people have had the same problem (can't print on an acer laptop). Quick search seems to indicate the driver is corrupted; more specifically, that the particular AMD chipset is not processing the HP printer driver properly. Biggest recommendation I saw was to do a search for: AMD_USB_filter_vol1.07_vista

You might need to do a more specific search for your particular model of laptop.

8. Joshua2415

Joshua2415 New Member

My favorite anti-spyware is Spybot Search and Destroy. Try this if anti-virus can't remove it alone. If it asks to run on startup, let it--it's trying to remove it.

9. Joshua2415

Joshua2415 New Member

What is the exact error message the print queue gives you?

Don's idea is interesting too. I've never heard of a chipset interacting with drivers in such a way, but I can't claim I've seen everything, either.

10. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I have 3 HP's and I cannot get them to boot from CD. I go into BIOS and set it to boo from cd, I even kill the option to boot from the hard disk. I have tried booting Puppy Linux and the Kaspersky Rescue cd...... I just want to learn how to do this in case I HAVE TO.

Any suggestions?

11. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Although there are several Google search pages that have complaints about the same type of problem, this was the only message I found that might seem to address your situation: