1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Free Gift*

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by James_Newman, Oct 22, 2004.

1. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Romans 5
    15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.
    16 And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification.

I work in a helpdesk environment, supporting hotel guests who have trouble connecting to the high-speed internet connection. Some of the properties we support charge a daily fee for internet access, and some of them do not charge. The properties that do not charge have a little plastic stand that says *Free High Speed Internet Access* and has an extension to call if they have problems.

At least once a week, I get a call from one of our free properties asking if the internet access is really free. I have to explain that yes indeed the access is free of charge, to whosoever would use it. I thought this was funny at first, then it got to be a little annoying, but it's really more sad than anything.

We have been conditioned to look for the hidden cost behind every free offer. People cannot believe that God's 'free gift' does not require some sort of payment. I mean, surely we must at least pay shipping and handling, right? Or the free gift is only given when you buy the first item of equal or greater value. Sometimes the free gift is just a scam, and they get your money and you get a broken watch. God does not give these kinds of gifts.

Those of us with children know that when we give something to them freely, we do not expect anything in return for it. If we made them work for it, we would call it a reward. Why do we think God is otherwise inclined?

Matthew 7:11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

Yes I realize this verse is not talking about salvation. What is it talking about, though? It's talking about the character of your Heavenly Father, and how much better He is than your earthly father. When will we start taking our Father at His Word?

2. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

James, the verse is CLEARLY talking about free internet access. [​IMG]

Seriously, though.... Part of our sinful nature is that we tend to be a bit mistrusting. If someone we don't know, for no reason whatsoever, gives us a gift, we're usually not going to take it right away, and we'll want to know "what's the catch?". It's human normal natural mistrusting sinful nature. So, here comes Jesus, someone we don't know, and says, here's a gift, no strings attached, take it. And what do we do? We resist. Who among us didn't before we were saved?

Yes, I know, not exactly in line with the verse you mentioned, but I do think that we shouldn't be mistrusting of our Heavenly Father who DOES know us, and wants to provide for us.

Blessings,
    Johnv