1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Free Grace Theology

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by agedman, Dec 22, 2015.

1. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't like the touchscreen rating system thing. I have hit dumb or old several times when that thought hasn't even crossed my mind.

2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Frankly, those two are really of little value.

It is like the "disagree." It seems that if one marks a post as "disagree" then it obliges some indication of what basis of Scriptural truth is used.

I don't put much stock in the rating system, though I do use it primarily to show agreement, something is funny, and like.

3. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

On the other thread concerning FGT, I stated that these proponents teach that when one believes it automatically means they've also repented. This was met with the typical 'No one teaches that. Who teaches that, prove it, you're a liar!!!!!!!?' argument.

OK, I will prove it:

That is classic, presumptuous, erroneous FGT teaching.

https://www.baptistboard.com/threads/conditional-salvation.28221/

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I. sorry that is either a fundamental misunderstanding of it or an intentional misrepresentation of it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whoops let me be more clear. I ACCIDENTLY hit dumb or old.

6. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LoL...I'm serious...I was looking back at some of the postings and realized it said undo rating and I looked and it said dumb or old lol. I've never intentionally hit dumb or old.

7. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

For some who do not embrace the typical DofG view, they place repentance and faith as in some manner mingled, front and back of the same coin, as water and salt blended into a singular mixture, or some other picture.

Perhaps, you and I would see repentance not bringing salvation, nor on an equal footing as salvation, but the results of salvation or the natural outpouring of devotion from that implanting of a new nature by God in which the Lord Jesus Christ is valued above all.

For example, the thief at the crucifixion would not have asked to be remembered, if he first did not have assurance from a changed heart and mind (a new nature) that such a request was honorable and exulting the Savior. He could "boldly come" with his request, understanding from the changed heart that he would not be shamed. His statement of getting what he justly deserved was not one of regret, but of understanding that repentance would not change the judgment of the world, but the judgment of God who would forgive and cleanse.

The extremes of FGT seems to relegate repentance to some mind game in which the rebuke of the Holy Spirit is considered an affront to "soul liberty." The boast, "Everything is lawful" shouts down "but not everything is beneficial."

But then, the extremes of the Calvinistic thinking brings about a puritanical approach which also does not listen to the Holy Spirit, but makes judgments usually of a binding, shackling, shunning and punitive nature considering them Godly.

What I consider lesser views, place humans as the primary instigators and the faith holders in which the person has the innate right to exercise some measure of control over placing into God's trust "their faith." That faith was not God's to give, but humankind's to offer. That one's faith could be enlarged or increased experientially. That all manner of health and wealth is offered by God and it is the lack of faith that causes the rewards to be limited or non-existent. That if a person has enough faith, they can name the prize and have it at their bidding.

None of that seems to be the teaching of the FGT view, but an extreme position that is unsupported by either the basic thinking of the view or Scriptures.

The similar can be said of the extreme of the reformed view towards FGT.

It is hoped that this thread could explore areas in which FGT (excluding the extremists) might fit rather snugly with the reformed thinking. Not that one completely endorse the FGT, but be able to show how reformed thinking and FGT are perhaps similar and therefore the differences could be more clearly discerned.

8. Internet Theologian

I have a touchscreen too and I hit 'ignore' (not on you) but it wasn't on accident. :)

9. Internet Theologian

Hello again brother Deacon. I still await your answers to my posts here, numbers 55, 56, 58. I see you are able to come give 'likes' to those who offer malicious posts on my person, and that is fine it's just you, but I would like for you to answer the posts I addressed in keeping with the OP and hope you can do so and leave the callow behavior in the past? 1 Corinthians 16:13? Can you do the former instead of the latter? I would like to have you answer my questions and leave off the ad hominem objective.

10. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry I.T. Chock it up to this brothers weakness.
    I find your mischaracterizations of Free Grace Theology abusive.
    Our interactions are irritating rather than edifying.
    I've stepped back until there is a change.
    My weakness!

Rob

11. Internet Theologian

I agree. I am sorry brother but you've done what you claim I've done after I addressed you kindly in response (noted in the post numbers I've provided). This is clear for all to see.

It is odd that you can come at me forceful (your own words), and call things I've shown clear evidence for 'derisive', 'pejorative' among other adjectives meant to malign and discredit me, and then to top that off you make certain to go around and 'like' others posts determined to malign me as well. However if I present a case with mere evidence, which several have agreed are true, and to which I've provided links to official teachings, you go on the attack, not on that evidence but on me as a person.

Frankly that is ignominious behavior.

I will consider you a brother and attempt to look past the assault on me you allow and personally bring, while you show contempt for me as a person.

• Like Like x 1