1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Free-Masonry and the Founding Fathers...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by bound, Apr 20, 2007.

1. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Well that is just the the thing. You can't be a Christian without being saved. Those quotes only seem to point out the evil done through the ages by "the church" (and by this I mean the various organizations who considered themselves to be the purveyors of religion). We can't really argue that quite a bit of bad stuff has gone on in the name of Christianity.

I think we'll have to dig deeper to determine if the FF were Christians, were Christians in name only, or were simply confused. I daresay the reality then was much like the reality today: it was a mix of all three with a few athiests thrown in for good measure.

2. amity

amity New Member

Few of them were church members. What was in their hearts we'll never know! Their statements seem to indicate that many of them were not believers in the Bible. For them, the Supreme Being usually so vaguely referred to seems to have been The Great Watchmaker.

3. bound

bound New Member

Hi Amity,

I've been doing a little research on this and I'm finding wikipedia extremely 'biased' on this particular subject matter.

While the current practice of Freemasonry studiously avoids the use of the name "Jesus" and official references to Christianity in Lodge activities or prayers, it was just the opposite for early Amercian Lodges. For Example, in 1749, Charles Brockwell reminded a Masonic Lodge that:

[W]hoever is an upright Mason can neither be an atheist, deist, or libertine; for he is under the strictest obligation to be... a true Christian. (emphasis added)

A 1769 work by moral philosopher Wellins Calcott (1726-1779) A Candid Disquisition of the Principles and Practices of the Most Ancient and Honorable Society of Free and Accepted Masons - similarly declared:

[A] good Mason is a good man, and a good Christians.

And William Hutchinson's 1775 Spirit of Freemasonry similarly stated:

The Master Mason represents a man under the Christian doctrines, saved from the grave of iniquity and raised to the faith of salvation. As the great testimonial that we are risen from that state of corruption, we bear the emblem of the Holy Trinity as the insignia of our vows.

With regards to George Washington... undoubtedly the most recognizable Founding Father associated with Masonry... told the Rev. Snyder that he wanted to...

correct an error you have run into of my presiding over the English lodges in this country. The fact is I preside over none, nor have I been in one more than once or twice within the last thirty years.

There are numerous individuals who testified about Washington's Christian faith:

U.S. Supreme Court Chief-Justice John Marshall served on Washington's staff during the Revolution: he declared, "He was a sincere believer in the Christian faith and a truly devout man."

Elias Boudinot was a President of Congress during the Revolution (under President Washington was a Member of Congress, helping frome the Bill of Rights); he declared of Washington: "The General was a Christian."

The reve. Devereux Jarratt was a Virginia minister who pastored the church where Washington attended and served as a vestryman; he declared that Washington "was a professor of Christianity."

There is 'so much' evidence available to refute these erroneous claims concerning our Founding Fathers and their association with Free Masonry that I am simply shocked that they continue in the public sphere.

#23 bound, Apr 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2007
  4. amity

amity New Member

The point of my post is not to attack freemasonry (although in fact I don't care for it. Just too much pagan symbolism and imagery. Way more pagan than Christian.).

On George Washington, of course you can find support for either position. Some of it is flat out fabricated, but it is there. If you want to prove your position please do some research. "Research" does not really mean going to a Christian website that is trying to 'prove' this is a Christian country, it means going to the Library of Congress and obtaining transcripts of original documents. All we can say about GW is that he consistently created the impression that he was NOT a Christian, and there is very little evidence that he was.

5. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Depends I think on what the term "Christian" is supposed to mean in the mind of the speaker you quoted.

By Christian did he mean the same as the word connotes to most of the world today ? One who behaves in a civil, charitable way, kisses the ladies' hands, gentleman's gentleman, patriotic, religious, church going, pray-before-meals, kind ?

Or did he actually mean one who belonged to Christ, who looked to Christ, whose hope is Christ and is in Christ ?

6. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Actually it is a false statement. A mason can be a muslim, hindu or any religion that believes in a "supreme" being, even a satanist if they believe satan is a supreme being. All the above can and do join the masons, I was one for better than 10 years and know what I am saying to be fact. All that is required when they take the oath is to affirm belief in a supreme being. The oaths can and have been taken on the different "bibles" of those particular faiths.
    I don't know who Charles Brockwell is, but he clearly doesn't have a clue what he is saying. Masonry has never been a "christian" organisation. I have several books of the order and Christian isn't a word you will find in them to describe any requirements to be one.

7. amity

amity New Member

Okay, I'll tell you what I heard, and you please I hope will give me more complete information, whether confirmation or denial. I heard that Freemasonry is basically dualistic. That when you get to the 32nd degree they tell you that the Great Architect of the Universe (which is how they refer to their notion of a Supreme Being) is in fact the entity that Christians call Satan.

8. JerryL

JerryL New Member

When I was in I was only a 3rd degree. I can't speculate what the 32nds teach. I don't think they would call satan the GAOTU though. Why I say that is that I know some 32nds, and if that was true they would drop out. I definitely don't think it is a satanistic organisation though, there are known satanist that belong, as well as hindu, muslims, mormons and other religions. What they do use is allagory in their teachings, they teach the "brotherhood of man, fatherhood of god"(I use small case "g" because I don't think they teach the true God.) "brotherhood of man, fatherhood of god" being, "we all worship the same god, we just go different routes to get there." The website I posted www.emfj.org is a great resource for the Christian to learn about masonry. They also can answer some of your questions about the founding fathers also. They have a forum for you to ask questions. I do agree with one of the posters above, the masons claim George Washington was a mason, and he was but, it is documented that he very rarely went to any meetings. I presume it was with him like it is with some politicians today, a good stepping stone to mix and mingle with people. Ben Franklin was one also. 8-9 signers of the Declaration of Independence were masons, though I don't know what their names are. That is probably easy to find out on the net. I have family and friends that belong. Some are Christians and even Preachers. I just found too much at odds with Christianity for me to remain. I think to most at the basic level it is just a "good ole' boys" club. I think at the lower levels the men are just blinded to the facts. Whether by unwillingness to learn, or just afraid to face the truth. A good friend of mine says it best. "You can't be an "informed" mason and a "good" Christian at the same time." Though I think you can be a Christian and unimformed mason. Most people like me, once a mason, very often don't go to the meetings. They are masons by name only and wear the rings and stuff just to show that they are masons. They reap the benefits of being a mason, i.e. A police officer that is a mason stops them and sees the little badge they place on the rear of their car and shakes their hand, gives them a "stiff" warning and a wink and says "be careful and be on your way." No ticket. A problem I had was the opening prayer. When you join in corperate prayer with the satanists and different religions, which god are you praying too?

#28 JerryL, Apr 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2007
  9. amity

amity New Member

There was a PBS special on freemasonry a few years back, and I wish I could remember the name of it. It would be worth hunting for. It was basically about the history of it. At the time of the U.S. Revolutionary War it was basically Deist, to be sure, and they saw themselves as a new democratic social structure to replace the function of aristocratic connections in England. IOW, the democratic "in-group" was the freemasons, instead of the nobility, and those were seen as the connections that counted in American colonial society. At that point they basically worshipped democracy personified.

I am rewriting this on the basis of more information, see below. At any rate, what got them into trouble with churches and elsewhere was when a freemason vowed to reveal all the secrets He was a new convert to Christianity and a well respected man in his community, but he had left freemasonry at the time of his conversion. His name was William Morgan. Basically freemasons acted in concert throughout New York State, even placing ads in the papers, to kidnap him and took him over the border into Canada and tortured him to death, dumping his body in one of the Great Lakes. This was such a scandal that everyone began speculating on what the secrets were that he was going to reveal. This is when the reputation of freemasonry as "the True Church of Satan" started. It was in 1826. I can't remember what sort of secret books, etc., were leaked, but they were very shocking. I remember a picture portraying Satan as a great ram with all the masonic symbols. Freemasonry almost died out in the U.S. as a result, and when it was revived in the late 1800s it was in the guise of a charitable organization.

Edit: I found an article dealing with some of this. It has a info on George Washington's ties to freemasonry; at the end of his life he issued a warning about "secret societies." Can't vouch for the site (it may be a bit crackpot) and I have not even read the article entirely yet, but this is in summary the same story that was on PBS:

http://www.the7thfire.com/new_world_order/illuminati/freemasons_kidnapped_murdered_Morgan.htm

#29 amity, Apr 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2007
  10. donnA

donnA Active Member

11. bound

bound New Member

Hi JerryL,

Knowing that you are an ex-mason I guess you know Mason history in America. Tell me what happened in 1813 which changed all the masonic charters and constitutions?

I believe knowing this and reading the actual charters and constitutions of the early masonic lodges gives a more objective view of the masons during the day of the Founding Fathers.

Also are you familar with the MSA? Have you read what they have determined concerning the many of the Founding Fathers and Masonic claims?

Can I post some text from the earliest charters and constitutions for you? You need to recognize the changes which occured in masonry in 1813 and their reaction to the Anti-Masonic Party with drove out scores of Christian Masons throughout America.

12. bound

bound New Member

Speculative Masonry (philosophical and pagan) grew out of an anti-Christian backlash after 1813 when the Lodges started accepting Jewish and Muslim Members in their ranks.

Actually I have not visited 'one' Christian site which discusses this topic. Actual documentation on this matter is ample. Since the Anti-Masonic backlash of 1813 and the admittance of non-Christian members, Masonry has been Anti-Christian for many years, no doubt but that was 'not' how it started. Worldly organizations 'evolve' and naturally become more liberal. Masonry is not different.

We have evidience from Washington's own letters that he had not been 'active' in the Lodge that he joined in his twenties. We can actually 'say' a lot about him because we have a lot of documents and they don't lead to ambiguity in this matter.

America is not a Masonic Country. It was Christian.

13. amity

amity New Member

"America" (meaning the U.S.A.) was never a "Christian country." The founding fathers were more uniformly freemason than they were Christian.

14. bound

bound New Member

The Masonic Research Group (MSA) doesn't affirm your unsubstantiated claims why should we believe them? As I've stated before, I'm researching this 'right now' and I'm coming to a very different conclusion.

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

The guy I saw on John Ankerberg said they will use any 'holy' book, it depends on the area, if they are in a predominately muslim area then they use the koran, and so.

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

i quite agree

17. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==The United States is not, and never has been, a Christian country. There are two reasons I say this:

1. The Bible, the New Testament, does not know anything of a Christian country. In the New Testament a Christian is a person who has repented of his/her sins and turned to Jesus as Savior and Lord. A nation cannot do this and, therefore, cannot be Christian. A nation may have a large number of Christians, or professing Christians, in its population but that does not make the nation a Christian nation.

2. American History shows that many in this country have, from colonial times, engaged in very unChristian behavior. The most extreme example of this unchristian behavior is slavery. During the Revolution some Christians claimed, and some still do, that Revolution itself was unChristian. They based this on Romans 13. John MacArthur agrees with this position in his book "Why Government Can't Save You". He states that if America has been blessed by God it has been inspite of its rebellion and not because of it. I'm not sure I totally agree but I do agree that the Loyalist's Biblical arguments seem much stronger than the Patriot's Biblical arguments.

As for freemasonry, it is my view that their membership in that organization is problematic. Personally I am not of the view that all/many of the founders of America were true Christians. Yes many were nominal Christians but they did not seem to have (a) orthodox beliefs, or (b) a relationship with the Lord.

18. bound

bound New Member

Yes this is modern-day "liberal" Free-Masonry. If you took the time to research what Early American Free-Masons wrote and taught you would be surprised at their orthodoxy. I am more than happy to give you examples complete with sources for your own research because I am not a fan of unsubstantiated accusations.

19. bound

bound New Member

Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people. - Proverbs 14:34

That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; - Philippians 2:15

But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light: - 1 Peter 2:9

The behavour of a nation can exalt it or bring reproach. Christians can be a light to a perverse nation or if the majority can be an expression of the 'holy nation' of which they are members. America was an attempt to be that holy nation as a light to the world and it continues to do so even if with but a feeble glow of it's pervious glory.

#39 bound, Apr 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2007
  20. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

None of that proves the idea that the Bible supports the notion of a Christian nation. 1Peter 2:9 is talking about the church and not a political state.