1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

free, non passworded, private chat rooms ...

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by PJ, May 15, 2006.

1. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our church has utilized a free, non passworded, private chat room with chatzy.com for a year or so but I haven't been able to pull it up for a week. I guess it needs replaced.

Can you recommend other free, non passworded, private chat rooms we might try? Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Pete

Pete New Member

hmmmmmm......why not just use MSN or YAHOO or similar? Or an IRC channel?

3. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pete, do you have to have an account with MSN, Yahoo or IRC for private chat? The perk of chatzy was that you didn't. There was no sign up and no password required. You simply type in your name or alias and begin chatting.

I continue to check with chatzy each day, looking for any reason why they've disappeared. I'm having no success.

Thanks for your help ...

4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I have seen other churches that had private chat rooms. What is the purpose of them?

5. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It can have great purpose. We have missionary friends in Colombia we meet to chat with sometimes, and, our church's teenagers like to meet there and chat after school. When I say private, I mean you would have to follow the link from our church's web site to know about it. It's not a public chat room where there are strangers. So far we've been successful in dodging trolls and sexual predators. I suspect that's because they're busy invading public chat rooms and not interested in visiting random church web sites.

6. Pete

Pete New Member

DOH! Got me [​IMG] Yeah, MSN & Yahoo have a sign up.... (and come to think of it I'm not sure if Yahoo can handle chatting to a few people at once, I mainly use MSN)

I guess that leaves IRC [​IMG] On some of the servers can register channels and nicks (free). Bit trickier to get the hang of than MSN etc, heh but I first got my 'net addiction on IRC 10 years or so ago, & if I could learn it anyone can [​IMG]

7. Bob Farnaby

Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, Yahoo Messenger can be used by small groups to 'conference'

Recently they closed the Java version of chat, so the options are diminishing..

8. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Chatzy finally posted an outage note on their web site.
    I'm looking around for an equivalent. Who knows when, or whether, they'll be back. :(

9. nate

nate New Member

I wouldn't think they would be down to long. A week maybe. I'm not sure of any free private chat rooms except Chatzy. barring: MSN, Yahoo, IRA