1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Free Software

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by th1bill, Oct 17, 2011.

1. th1bill

th1bill Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anyone that receives my postings through their email or reads them on a semi-regular basis knows that I do my very best to encourage Christian and Lost Man alike to keep their software legal on their computers.* There are two groups of people that I do my best to keep them up to date and legal... Highschoolers and my group, the Elders.* To keep your unit legal and currant is actually simple and it´s free!

Seven years ago a wealthy South African Gentleman, Mark Shuttleworth was fed up with the sorry software that Micro Soft sells to the world and then tries to fix the junk they have sold to us.* I got on board with his System, some years ago, and have been virus, worm, trojan and root kit free since that time.* I ran the system for the first two years, testing it, without anti-virus and firewall software and received none of the trouble that is normal with Windoze.

There is, of course, among the better than 30,000 free packages anti-virus software and firewall software and I now keep ClamAV and Firestarter on my unit now for that added measure of peace of mind.* There are two features of Ubuntu/Linux that endear it to IT and user alike.* Where Windoze must be Defragged on no less than a once a month basis to keep the file system in reasonable condition for booting and running programs, Ubuntu writes the file in a contiguous manor and never needs that maintenance performed and the other is the lack of a registry.

If a Windoze user does not do weekly cleaning of the Registry the machine will over a period of time crawl to a creep that causes perfectly good computers to be trashed.* Yes, there are a few perfectly good and very useful Registry cleaners out there and ¨if¨ they are used, Religiously, they will keep the registry straightened out and clean, the problem is, they must be run once a week and you must not forget to run them.* There is no such problem in Ubuntu!

So, with all of this Business Quality Free Software, why are there not more users?* While the Ubuntu Operating System is the fastest growing operating system in the world and while there are about 20,000,000 Ubuntu users at the moment, Ubuntu is not a game machine!* Yes, you can play Solitaire, MaJongg and a host of other games written for the system but the writers/programmers of the games are just beginning to realise that there is a growing market that has been ignored while the Micro Soft people are busy shrinking their market share.

Another plus for Ubuntu is the truth that Ubuntu will play nice with the Windoze OS while the reverse is not true.* Ubuntu has a package, NTFS3G that reads and accesses the windoze folders and files while it is an earth shattering experience to do the reverse.* And then there is the ability to dual boot the two systems without becoming a geek to accomplish the task as long as you do not need or try to depend on Windoze to do it for you.

Go to ubuntu.com and download the current Long Term Support version, v. 10.04, as an iso file and use you favourite Disk Burner and burn the file using the Burn Image Selection.* Then, with almost all new computers, place the disk in your CD or DVD Drive and reboot the computer.* It will boot slower than normal because it will boot from the CD and give you the choice to test the system or to install it.* Select Install, set your time zone for the clock, tell the system who you are and choose to install the systems side by side and go get a Dr. Pepper to celebrate while the disk installs your new system for you... you will have just become the Neighbourhood Geek to all your friends.

When the computer spits the CD out park it in a safe place and watch as the Grub Boot gives you the choice to boot into Ubuntu or Windoze for 10 seconds before it boots into Ubuntu by default.* Do not try to install Windoze on an Ubuntu machine without first knowing that you had better back up everything because Windoze will eat all of it and it will forever disappear... unless you spend a little time researching the recovery tools available for the Linux systems.

So remember www.ubuntu.com for the free operating system that is trouble free and all the packages for things like Office Software and games, photo repair and enhancement and just about anything you can think of, including Bible programs are free.* You just turn your computer on and if you have DSL installing software is just point and click to install.

2. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

What does this have to do with theology and bible study?

3. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

It's so sorry that it's won the market share easily over all its competitors. Yes, there were competitors at one point and they lost.

Also, it's Microsoft, not "Micro Soft".

Let's be honest about this. The reason there are so many virus, worms, and trojans that hit the Windows platform is because that's where the vast majority of users are. The malicious people that write these things are looking to impact the largest numbers of people. They can't impact large numbers of people on the Linux Desktop.

Oh, and it's Windows, not Windoze. Using "windoze" just makes you look childish.

False information. Windows does not need to be defragged once a month.

More bogus information.

20,000,000 Ubuntu users? Give me a break. All the best estimates put Linux Desktop usage at 1% market share. Even if Ubuntu had the full 1% of that it would mean there are a total of 2,000,000,000 desktops in use in the world. Real estimates are more like 1.2-1.3 billion desktops in use.

Ubuntu isn't used as a desktop because it isn't user friendly enough. There are always quirks that have to be dealt with. Nothing is ever as easy as it is supposed to be. Combine all that with the fact that no one supports Ubuntu and you have your reasons.

Earth shattering experience? Bah humbug. It's simple.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/tools-to-access-linux-partitions-from-windows.html

Windows handles the dual boot just fine.

Then get ready to find out that you have no idea how to do simple things like get your sound card working or your network card. Also figure out that none of your favorite software works and that you don't even know how to launch an email client. Next try and figure out how to make Flash work so you can actually view all your favorite websites. Now realize that you are in over your head.

All this is said by a guy that runs Linux. I have run Linux since Slackware and installing off multiple floppies. I use Linux on web servers and application servers every day. I am an Open Source advocate and enjoy Free Software. I work for a technical publisher in their Open Source division. I know Open Source software.

Sorry th1bill, but you come off as a freshmen in college who just had an introduction to chemistry and talks at parties about chemical reactions as if they are an expert on the subject. You are misleading people to believe that Ubuntu is super simple and will solve all their problems. It won't. For 98% of people it will simply frustrate them.

#3 matt wade, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2011
  4. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I must say I was wondering that, too. Perhaps the thread needs moving to the "Computers & Website" forum of the BB.

5. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yes. Please Mods, hear ye our supplication and move this thread to the tech forum.

BTW, I run Ubuntu on a virtual machine with an XP host.

6. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Might be referring to the Ubuntu Christian Edition, as that is a neat linux bible program...

Also, try Linux Mint, Ubuntu as it :"should have been done!"

7. Batt4Christ

Batt4Christ Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll stick with OS X Lion!

8. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Ah, we hear from the core of the apple crowd - doubt it will stem the Linux juices though :wavey:

9. th1bill

th1bill Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To the moderators, I am sorry for posting in the wrong forum but in the end, even in this forum it matters... those that run Windoze illegally, God´s eye does not twinkle at this!

As for the childish charges, I did mistype 20,000,000, aparently but as for my spelling of Microsoft, that affects the truth of the post in what manor? And as for my spelling of Windoze, if you ever get past that foolish but popular system you will begin to understand the intentional misspelling.

As for the virus attacks, you are free to believe anything! The facts are that when Mary Jo Foley, respected Computer Columnist and Tech., asked the Miro Soft (that is intentional also) Team why they did not plug the, then, 17 year old DOS Hole in their operating system, their response spoke tons of weight to those of us that straighten out our friends and neighbors Registry, something that all the Linux Systems, including Ubuntu, do not have, as I remove the Spyware, Virus´, Worms, Trojans and Garbage programs placed there by Micro Soft (oops!) Their response was and I paraphrase for lack of memory, Ḧow would we ever execute a program from the internet if we did that. And all I can say to that is, ¨Duh!¨

I´ll say one thing more on the OS situation. The two years I ran my system without the Firestarter Firewall and the Clam AV sytem... I had zero viral, worm, trojan or spyware problems. Facts are tough!

But now for the only important matter here. It would be much better if we were friends, you might even affect my feelings about Windoze and the brand new Root Kit installed by Micro Soft and approved by the NSA of the US Government.

10. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I love Linux, but there are some areas where Windows applications are needed, or just plain better than any FOSS alternative. For example, for all it's faults, Excel is far and away above Libre Office Calc for building complex models and VBA apps. Photoshop beats the pants off of The GIMP. And until Sim City 4 runs on Linux, I will continue to dual boot. :) I use Windows 7 Home Premium and Linux Mint 11 on my laptop, Android on my phone and Xoom, and WebOS on my Touchpad. All have their place.