1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Free Will?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by tj harris, Feb 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can God's sovereign will be overrode or violated?

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    here you go;

#22 Iconoclast, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2015
  3. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You miss read him. He once again states God is not a the author of sin

4. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The OP is full of hot air.

5. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He says he will avoid the defense of "evils are of man not God"... He does that not because he doesn't believe that, but because he says the cavalier will just argue....

Does God not create the wicked? Does he not justify his children and make them righteous?

Does God create vessels of mercy and vessels of wrath? What right does the mold have to say to the molder? All for his glory regardless.

Read Calvins work on Original sin. There he states clearly God is not the author of sin.

6. tj harris

tj harris New Member

Why do you believe this you have said about me?
    Please explain in detail?

7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Free Will?
    Yeah, I've been thinking about filing a will. Do you know of a lawyer who does that service for free?

8. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "The blame of our ruin rests with our own carnality, not with God, its only cause being our dengeneracy from our original condition. And let no man clamor that God might have provided better for our safety by preventing Adam's fall. ....Meanwhile let us remember that our ruin is attributable to our own depravity, that we may not insinuate a charge against God himself." -Calvin Book 2 Ch1. Section 10. This whole section is addressing those who blame there sin on God. Calvin argues against what you accuse him of.

9. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Acts 4:27 Indeed Herod and Pontius Pilate met together with the Gentiles and the people of Israel in this city to conspire against your holy servant Jesus, whom you anointed. 28 They did what your power and will had decided beforehand should happen.

10. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Going back to Pilate. I agree 100% Pilate acted on his own will. With that said, he was going up against a prophecy of God. The Sovereign will of God. Pilate being of the flesh and incapable of doing nothing good for God. Being afraid for himself due to the Mob, only had one choice. The choice of the flesh, the sinful choice. He operated with free will to chose the only choice he had. To crucify Christ. Pilate, by freewill, could have never had freed Jesus. To do so would have ascended his will above God's sovereignty. Making him more powerful than God.

11. The American Dream

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree totally. Post that makes the most sense. Man's free will is bounded by our fallen state. God's sovereignty is absolute. Just because it appears to the ad nauseum free will-sovereignty debaters there is a contradiction does not make it so. It makes no difference to God whether you understand it or not. The fact is God operates by certain principles, some known to man, some unknown. Sovereignty and the limited free will of man work in perfect harmony. God is the Creator, He make the rules. BB posters do not.

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How many times is this argument going to be made? Lets try yet again:
    1) God is sovereign, that means He either causes or allows whatsoever comes to pass. Thus He does not predestine everything, and therefore is not the author of sin. (Yes I know Calvinism teaches God predestines whatsoever comes to pass, yet somehow mysteriously, is not the author of sin. In the real world, that is cognitive dissonance.)

2) No ones will is free to do anything, because if God does not allow it, it will not occur. Thus we are free to make decisions within the purview God allows. If some action is not allowed, say flying by flapping our arms, it will not happen. Thus, God says we make plans but God directs our feet.

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You pit one attribute of God against another actually making God weaker than He really is. All of His attributes work together and none is greater than any other. Sovereignty does not over-rule omniscience for example. Nor does it over-rule omnipotence. You are tying God's hands and putting Him into a box, telling God what He can and cannot do according to your puny reasoning.

What does the Word say about that?
    Romans 11:33 O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!
    34 For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counseller?

Do you give your counsel to God at this point?

Or do you agree that, when God said:
    Isaiah 55:8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.
    9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
    --he meant it.

Is it possible that God gave free will to Pilate, even though it was written in the Scriptures, knowing full well ahead of time (for He is omniscient) which way Pilate would choose, and still not violate his sovereignty? He is God. He is omnipotent. If you say no to the above question, that God cannot do those things, then you are limiting the power of God. If man cannot have a free will within the boundaries of God's sovereignty (according to you and Calvin) then you are limiting the power of God; taking away his omnipotence, and God is not God at all.

14. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nice try, but you are distorting the debate. I have always stated that are free will must operate within the boundaries of God's sovereignty. So has Calvin. You just changed sides of the debate. Sovereignty of God is absolute. How you can claim that if he is too sovereign....that if it out ways his omniscience..... He is no longer God makes zero sense. His Sovereignty is in regard to his will, his rule, his supremacy. Nothing will over rule that. God's sovereignty answers to nothing. Especially Pilate's will. So now you claim is that God seen it in his omniscience that his plan would work. He got lucky then???? You still allow room for a human being to over throw Gods plan. Pilate had no free will to do anything good for God. He was of the flesh, served the flesh. Nor one person is good(without Christ imputed righteousness). Pilate had not choice but to do his will, the will of the flesh. God didn't control his will. Pilate was a slave to his sinful nature. Incapable for doing anything but choose death for Christ.

15. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...and your claim that if God didn't give Pilate free will, the ability to choose good and let Christ live, then he is weak and not God is a backwards statement. If he didn't give Pilate the power to override his(God's) own sovereignty, then he is not God. You basically just said if God doesn't make his creature as powerful as him or powerful he is not God. Makes now since. Humans screw everything up. He does not leave the salvation of his children in the hands of a humans free will. Our will always bends to God's

16. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...and to say sovereignty doesn't over rule something.... You miss the meaning of sovereign.

17. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    His omniscience and omnipotence and attributes that add to his sovereignty. Sovereign is what he is. Omniscience is an ability.

18. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do enjoy the debate guys....

"Iron sharpens iron,
    and one man sharpens another."

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Your view disagrees with both the Scriptures and with Jesus:

John 19:9 And went again into the judgment hall, and saith unto Jesus, Whence art thou? But Jesus gave him no answer.

10 Then saith Pilate unto him, Speakest thou not unto me? knowest thou not that I have power to crucify thee, and have power to release thee?

11 Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin.

Pilate speaks of his own power.
    Jesus tells him that the power he does have was given to him.
    However, he also tells him that the one that is most responsible is Judas. It was Judas that delivered Jesus to Pilate. He did so of his own free will, and of Pilate's free will he was still able to release him. That power God had given him. He couldn't claim it for himself.

20. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pilate's position had the legal power. The crucifixion was going to happen. Pilate had no control. Gods will will trump all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.