1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Freedom and Virtue

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

Can virtue exist without freedom?

It is evidently the held belief of at least some, if not all Muslim’s, that America, although exhibiting much freedom, is without virtue, as they see evidenced by our permissive, promiscuous, and materialistic society. This evidently gives rise to their feelings of being just in their cause to destroy us and any that would fail to convert to Islam.

My question to the list centers on the two issues, freedom and virtue. The Muslim places the notion of virtue (in their case seeing it from their perspective as being identified by their religion and practices) above freedom, or so it would seem to me.

Again, my question for the list is, 'Can virtue exist without freedom?' Why or why not?

2. Heavenly Pilgrim

Possibly I made the question too difficult. Let me ask it in a practical way. Can one 'love' apart from freedom?

3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Was Lucifer "free to sin" in heaven?

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In a sinful world we need checks-and-balances and no one party ruler dictator religious-group can be given totalitarian dominance because evil-begets-evil in even the best of systems and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

But in God's heaven - it works.

5. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: I would have to say yes he was, as the evidence of his rebellion revealed.

6. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Just a question for thought. Does God indeed have ‘all’ power, or in fact has not God delegated some power and authority to man, and yes even Satan and the angels themselves?

Can ‘All Powerful’ delegate power to others and still remain 'All Powerful?' I believe He can. Who is to limit what our Sovereign God can do? Those claiming to elevate His Sovereignty over His own choices and actions?

#6 Heavenly Pilgrim, Sep 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2006