1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Freedom of prayer for military

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Gina B, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

2. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

I have no idea how widespread this is or why military chaplains have done this. Do you believe they are pressured by their chain of command to water down their faith. It's very difficult for me to believe that this is happening except occasionally. Why have a chaplain and then not allow him to openly share his faith. Certainly "liberals" have nothing to do with this. I suppose a petition to George Bush is proper because ultimately, as Commander-in-Chief, he's responsible.

3. Daisy

Daisy New Member

In private services they can pray to whomever, but public prayers should be as inclusive to as many attending as possible.

4. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Classic case of PCitus!

Why bother?

5. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Baloney. Inclusive when it comes to religion simply means to leave out any solid references to any solid faith.
    That is wrong in a religiously free country, and especially wrong for a Christian. It's a violation of free religion to require a Christian not pray as his religion demands.
    Who are the people offended by religious freedom? Those who wish to take it away.
    Let's not cater to them, please!

I doubt any Christian would be dialing up the ACLU if they heard a naturalist pray to Mother Earth in their presence, especially at a meeting where that person was asked to pray out loud. EVERYONE can be included in a petition of prayer, no matter who it's too. Most everyone will admit that when they hear a public prayer to a strange god, they speak within themselves and direct the petition to the god they believe in.
    To ask someone to hide their faith or to sugar it to include faiths they feel are not valid is just plain wrong.

6. JamesBell

JamesBell New Member

This is very widespread. I can see why, as a Chaplain must minister to everyone in the command, regardless of their faith. This means that a chaplain isn't in a position to act as we would expect a minister of God's Word to act. That being said, the way things are now is ridiculous. Not being able to pray in Jesus’ name is going too far. In my time in the military, I never once heard a complaint from someone about a prayer, and there were several atheists in my platoon. I really think these are just drummed up charges to cause problems. The people actually in the military have other things to worry about.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Do you think it is any different than what you would find in the religious world comparing librals and fundamentalists?

8. emeraldctyangel

emeraldctyangel New Member

Cant cover everything all the time. If youre on a ship or submarine, some members of the crew can act as laymen, holding services in the particular vein of faith. Having a chaplain on board a ship isnt a right because being on board is temporary. We just get the basics out there to see us through a certain amount of time. You are not expected to carry on with life exactly as you would if you were living in base housing and free to get in your car to go to church on Sunday. So, you do what you can until you get home.

Makes the return to the world a little sweeter and gives us plenty of incentive to get the job done quick and clean.

9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess this also means a Rabbi can't pray to God and a muslim chaplain can't pray to Allah.

Or is it only Jesus that's off limits?