1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Freedom of Speech AND Abortion Centers

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Feb 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    July 2014 is the date

2. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That and open air preaching. Even if I can't personally give someone a tract unless they come to me, I can still place tracts on cars and open air preach.

#62 evangelist6589, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2015
  3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I listened twice. He never mentioned Chick tracts at all. Your statement that he speaks well of them in this podcast is untrue.

4. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed, this is a time where a smile and a softly spoken word will do much more then yelling and condemnation.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    and that too, could be illegal - check local government ordinances....

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You must have the wrong episode. The one I have Chic Tracts are mentioned by a caller and he responds in the positive for that form of evangelism. But I know you are looking for an explicit statement such as "go and use Chick Tracts" or "I use chick tracts" and if that is your expectation you will be disappointed. RC only responds to the positive in the form of evangelism that Chick Tracts utilize.

#66 evangelist6589, Feb 15, 2015
  7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That is the exact one I listened to - the one where he speaks of Jonathan Edwards. Yes, he speaks of the scare evangelism but he never once mentions Chick tracts. It was only the caller who said he saw them and that they have the Grim Reaper and stuff and what did Dr. Sproul think about the idea of using scare tactics to evangelize.

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I said more than once you will not get a explicit statement (which is what you are looking for) but he does affirm and commend the style of evangelism used by Chick Tracts.

#69 evangelist6589, Feb 15, 2015
  10. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know the great thing about the Internet? Its easy to go back and look at what someone said. You got trapped in a lie and to try to get out of it you lie again. Only after you got called on the fact that RC Sproul did not talk about Chick Tracks did you back up and say that it was not an explicit statement. And then to try to back that up you said you said that more then once when you actually only did say it once after getting backed into a corner.

I thank you in advance for the bunny I know you would give me if I was not on ignore. :thumbs:

11. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If anyone cares, the relevant portion is at 18:16 (as timer counts backwards) and lasts about 3 minutes. I got the impression that Sproul has no idea what a Chick tract is. He spoke of using the fear factor in sermons.

It's important because there is a difference between an in depth sermon about Hell constructed from Bible text and a cartoon pamphlet that takes 3 minutes to read.

#71 InTheLight, Feb 15, 2015
  12. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    After listening to this, I agree with you assessment. He does not talk about tracts at all, but talks about using fear in Sermons. And you're right there is a huge difference between a Sermon and pamphlet.

13. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's ironic that Evan6589, a Calvinist, advocates using Chick tracts. I remember using them when I was a teenager (This Was Your Life, Big Daddy, others) and they always ended with the Sinners Prayer, something that Calvinists recoil from.

14. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

I don't use Chick tracts, because I've caught them with glaring inaccuracies in a couple of their tracts. They have a couple of good ones, but I cannot recommend a company that doesn't even fact check.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Then don't say that he approved Chick Tracts. To help you remember what you said:

16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

He approved the style of evangelism utilized in the tracts which is fire and brimstone and scare. The question that the caller asked was about chick tracts.

17. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If anyone has been reading this entire thread the problem with Evan6589 interpretation skills is evident. R.C. Sproul did not approve Chick tracts. It's doubtful he even knows what they are. But Evan insists that since Sproul approves of the "fear factor" technique of evangelism, then by extension Sproul approves of Chick tracts.

And therefore, Sproul would approve of Evan going in front of abortion clinics, open air preaching and handing out Chick tracts. So Evan can rationalize in his mind that this is a viable evangelism method and even has the endorsement of one of his Calvinist heroes.

18. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very well stated. Of course when backed into a corner he then says that he didn't actually say that he approved just that it was mentioned and so he gives approval by omission of any condemnation of it.

19. Servent

Servent Member

In Mark 16:15 He said go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to all creation.
    Not go into the world and be stupid, and I don't care if I do get band. I believe in evangelism with all my heart, I have been through Ray's course as well. But 90% of these women need to know that they are loved and not yelled by someone on a street corner that they are going to hell. Find a different way

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No, the caller asked about the scare methods that the tracts use. The response spoke of Jonathan Edwards - who I don't think used Chick tracts. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.