1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Freedom of speech trampled in Philly

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An evangelist convicted of federal crimes for preaching on a public sidewalk in front of the Liberty Bell is appealing his case.

Repent America director Michael Marcavage was sentenced to a year's probation and fined by a federal magistrate for refusing to leave a public sidewalk near where the Liberty Bell is on display outside Independence Hall. Marcavage is now appealing the conviction for "obstructing agency operations" to the U.S. District Court.

"We weren't obstructing anyone. In fact, the government even stipulated, during the trial, that we were not obstructing or blocking anyone and that I was not acting disorderly. So there's no reasonable explanation other than the fact that they wanted us to go to this 'free-speech zone,'" Marcavage explains.

More Here

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

While most street preachers I have seen are very obnoxious, as long as they are on public right of way, not impeding people, and not using bullhorns, they have every right to stand on the sidewalk and say their peace.

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I agree with you both, this is a travesty to our right to freedom of speech.