1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Freedom of the Will

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by agedman, Aug 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winman

Winman Active Member

Romans 8:7 could POSSIBLY be teaching inability. It really could. It could also be saying that when a person gives the flesh his supreme attention, at those times he cannot please God.

That is why I gave the analogy of looking at a young girl in a bikini. There is no way you can please your wife while you are doing this. This does not mean you are unable to look away and please her. But while you are staring at that young girl, no way is your wife going to be happy.

So, Romans 8:7 could be seen in this sense also. It really could. So how do you determine which meaning is meant? You must go to many other scriptures and see what the Bible teaches. And this is where Cornelius comes in, he was not saved, and he did not have the Spirit, yet he was able to believe and do good works. But there is much more scripture than this;

Jhn 7:38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
    39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

We know that hundreds, if not thousands of Jews believed on Jesus Christ before he was crucified and rose from the dead, yet none of these persons had the indwelling Spirit, as the Spirit was not yet given.

Nobody in the OT had the indwelling Spirit, the promise of the Spirit was future to OT believers.

Joe 2:28 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:
    29 And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.

We know this was not fulfilled until the day of Pentacost;

Acts 2:14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:
    15 For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.
    16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;
    17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
    18 And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:

The OT saints did not have the indwelling Holy Spirit. Yet they were able to believe, and they were able to do good works.

So your interpretation of Romans 8:7 is easily refuted. It is not saying that persons without the Spirit are unable to believe or do good, it is simply saying while they are carnally minded, while they give their supreme attention to the flesh that they cannot please God.

I have pointed out where Calvinism interprets scripture in exact reverse dozens of times. That is why I laughed at you for accusing me of that.

Nonsense, it was prophesied that Judas would betray Jesus for thirty pieces of silver hundreds of years before he was born.

Zec 11:13 And the LORD said unto me, Cast it unto the potter: a goodly price that I was prised at of them. And I took the thirty pieces of silver, and cast them to the potter in the house of the LORD.

No you weren't. Until you heard Jesus preached to you or taught to you by someone like your parents, you had no idea who Jesus was and in no way could believe on him.

Nonsense. Again, until you heard the word of God from a preacher or someone like your parents, you had no idea who Jesus was and therefore could not believe on him.

Right.

OK, first, it is ridiculous, there is no "e" in this word. Secondly, Jesus in fact said the words that he spoke were spirit and life "but some of you believe not" then he says "Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father"

God gives the word, we have to do the believing. The word only works in those that believe, so only those that believe can come.

Calvinism teaches the exact opposite of scripture. Calvinism teaches that the word of God effectually works in the elect to cause a man to believe. That is the exact opposite of what scripture says. The scriptures say the word of God works effectually in them that believe.

Your posts are too long...

#101 Winman, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2013
  2. Winman

Winman Active Member

continued...

There you go. You prove my point.

The Holy Spirit "reproves" the world of sin. The Holy Spirit enlightens (teaches) and convicts. The Holy Spirit does not cause a person to believe however, a man must choose to believe himself.

It does not say that Cornelius was cleaned. It was teaching Peter that the Gentiles were no longer considered unclean. Jews did not have regular contact with Gentiles, especially in religious matters.

Jhn 4:9 Then saith the woman of Samaria unto him, How is it that thou, being a Jew, askest drink of me, which am a woman of Samaria? for the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans.

This is what God was teaching Peter, that he could now go to the Gentiles and preach the gospel to them. Before they had only gone to the Jews. But Cornelius was not saved, we are directly told that. He had not believed on Jesus yet, and he did not have the Spirit yet.

No, but after Pentacost men were required to believe on Jesus.

Right. I showed you where Cornelius was baptized AFTER he believed and received the Spirit. Maybe you need to study again.

Right, It is I that is all mixed up. Even though I refute you with scripture time and time again. Right.

Your posts are too long like Agedman. You, like him seem to believe you can make something true by using ten thousand words. Not true.

3. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Winman, Did I not read that you consider attempts to derail a thread typical of those who have no foundational support for the view they hold?

Perhaps, because you brought up the topic and I don't want readers of the BB to be misinformed, it is prudent that a short post be made to explain Baptism of or in the Holy Spirit.

This topic is highly controversial and many have been schooled to accept that the "Baptism of the Holy Spirit" is the same and not a different anointing of Holy Spirit and complete at salvation.

However, there are scholars that do accept that there is another time when the believer may "be filled with the Spirit" (as Paul expressed to the Ephesian believers).

This happens AFTER salvation and water baptism.

To start, look at these two events:

John 20:22
    And when He had said this, He breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit.
    Acts1:4-5

4 Gathering them together, He commanded them not to leave Jerusalem, but to wait for what the Father had promised, “Which,” He said, “you heard of from Me; 5 for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.”​
    The apostles receive the Holy Spirit from Christ, but are "baptized with the Holy Spirit at a later time.

Paul tells the Ephesians,
    "Don't be drunk with wine, but be filled with the Holy Spirit." That seems to indicate that there is a filling that is also accompanied by a change in worship, attitude, and ministry. (Eph. 5)
    Another example (other than the apostles and what Paul declares) is that of the Lord Jesus.

One would never say that He was not "saved," yet when do witnesses see He received (baptized) the Holy Spirit? After He was baptized with water.

The "Baptism (of, in, by) the Holy Spirit" is also testified by some occurring as a special anointing or call. One might experience such an exercise by the Spirit when "called to the ministry" or even in a time when the believer has come in repentance of a sinful life at a time of rededication.

In these instances, the testimony's declare that they have been given a clearer insight into God's word, a far greater love, and dedication to the things of God.

Unfortunately, there are some who have perverted the Scriptures by taking as evidence of this filling or baptism some form of public glossolalia. I do not find that as Scriptural.

Winam,
    I do not know Biblicists reasoning, but I merely put this post together to show readers of the BB that being filled (baptized) with the Holy Spirit is both Scriptural and valuable. It does occur AFTER salvation and water baptism.

If you are to attempt to refute him, you don't have much solid ground using this topic.

4. Winman

Winman Active Member

Agedman

No one had the indwelling Spirit until Jesus was raised from the dead and glorified.

Jhn 7:38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
    39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

Now, we know for a fact that hundreds, if not thousands of Jews (and a few Gentiles) believed on Jesus before the Holy Spirit was given.

OT saints did not have the indwelling Spirit, it was a future promise that Peter said was fulfilled at Pentacost.

Joe 2:28 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:
    29 And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.

Jesus himself promised to send the Holy Spirit to his disciples and said he would be "in you". Up to this time the Spirit had dwelled "with you". So, the Spirit was WITH THEM but not IN THEM. Huge difference.

Jhn 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
    17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
    18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

Note that Jesus distinguishes between the Spirit being "with you" and "in you". They did not have the Spirit IN them yet, this is the INdwelling Holy Spirit spoken of in Romans 8:9. Yet they were able to believe. So this proves unregenerate men can believe.

But... what about Romans 8:9? Romans 8:9 says that if a person has not the indwelling Spirit, they are none of Christ's.

Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

This is why I believe the OT saints had to wait in Abraham's bosom as shown in Luke 16. They did not have the Spirit and could not go directly to heaven.

I believe after Jesus ascended to heaven and sprinkled his blood on the mercy seat, he returned to Abraham's bosom and gave the saints there the indwelling Spirit. After that he was able to lead them to heaven.

Eph 4:8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.

This is when I believe Jesus gave the indwelling Holy Spirit to all the OT saints who were waiting in Abraham's bosom or paradise. After this he was able to lead them to heaven. Now all believers receive the Spirit upon believing on Jesus and go directly to heaven when they die.

#104 Winman, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.