1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Freemasonry

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by deacon jd, Sep 26, 2006.

1. deacon jd

deacon jd New Member

I am sure that this topic has been discussed on the BB before, but I probably missed out on it. I am not a Mason, but I have a lot of friends who are, and I already know that I can not be a Mason because of my convictions about the taking of oaths. I know that the Masons do a lot of good things for children such as hospitals and burn units, and I am thankful for all that they do, but I have also heard that Masonry is full of paganism and even devil worship in the higher degrees. I would like to hear some discussion on this subject. Maybe there are some Masons or former Masons who could shed some light on this subject.

2. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

The Masons are a cultic orginization that teaches doctrin that is contrary to Christianity and Biblical teaching.

They do good things with their money, but so do alot of cults.

3. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

The founding organization was the Knights of Templar protectors of the Grail. Sworn to secrecy by their code of Chivalry they were primarily noblemen who were the sworn enforcers of the Catholic Church. Though they swear an oath to God it is actually to the Catholic Church which stands in the stead of Christ.

If I am mistaken on any of this please let me know.

Thjplgvp

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Incompatible with Christianity

Though Freemasons claim otherwise, Freemasonry and Christianity are incompatible:

By taking the Masonic oaths, the Mason is swearing to uphold Masonry and its teachings. Swearing to uphold Masonic oaths is sinful, unscriptural and should not be part of the Christian's life for the following reasons.
    They make a Christian man swear by God to doctrines which God has pronounced false and sinful. For example, Masonry teaches a universalist doctrine of "the Fatherhood of God" (John 8:42)

The Christian man is made to swear his acceptance of the lie that salvation, the reward of Heaven, can be gained by main's good works (Ephesians 2:8-9)

The Christian man swears to accept and promote the Masonic lie that Jesus is just one of many equally revered prohets in the world. He does this when agreeing that all religions can lead a man to God (Acts 4:12; Philippians 2:9-11; Colossians 1:16-18)

The Christian man swears he will remain silent in the Lodge and not talk of Christ when God commands every Christian to be a witness (Matthew 28:19)

The Christian man swears that he is approaching the Lodge while he is in spiritual ignorance and moral darkness, when the Bible says that Christians are children of light and are indwelt by the Light of the world (John 8:12; Ephesians 5:8)

By taking the Masonic oath, the Christian is guilty of taking the name of the Lord is vain, because he has sworn unlawfully to things God has forbidden him to swear to. God says He will not leave such a person unpunished (Exodus 20:7)

The Christian falsely swears that the God of the Bible is equally present in all religions (1 Timothy 2:5-6)

The Christian falsely swears to the teaching that true worship can be offered in to Lodge to God without the mediatorship of Jesus (Hebrews 9:14)

By swearing the Masonic oath, Christians are perpetuating a false gospel to other Lodge members who look only to the gospel of Masonry to get them to Heaven (Galatians 1:6-8)

The Christian's spirit, mind and body are the temple of the Holy Spirit, "bought with a price" (1 Corinthians 6:19-20).

By taking the Masonic obligations he could be agreeing to allow the polution of his mind and spirit by pagan religion or even occult practices.

Source: John Ankerberg and John Weldon, Encyclopedia of Cults and New Religions Harvest House Publishers, Eugene, Or. 1999, P. 255-256

http://www.apologeticsindex.org/f16.html

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

6. Allan

Allan Active Member

This is a subject I can truly go on and on, but some of the finer points have already been addressed.

The oaths they take are blood oaths. - Not oaths made with blood but swore by that of you own blood to keep the secrets of the masons.

My favorite sticker point is in the Seventh Royal Arch Degree.
    They tell you they alone know the true name of God. I don't know how to spell it though. Jahbaalos but it is pronounced (Jaw-bool-os) A combination of the names of the Gods - [Jah]ovah, [Os]iris, and . [Baal] -

However God states He will share His name with no one, nor His power.

It it also a works based salvation, even though they claim not to be a religion. They accept whatever holy book you ascribe to as the basis for brotherhood.
    They go to their meeting house that they call the 'Temple'.
    They have to were always (under their clothes) a white sheep skin apron that represents purity. In their funerals they can not be buried without it as it is part of their proof to get into the Great lodge above. They even have an entire funeral service with more religious overtones and prayers than most christian one..

Oops, I got off on a tangent. Sorry... Cult, Cult, Cult.
    However those involved are usually so decieved they CAN NOT even see what it is.

It was once discussed in the Southern Baptist Convention to not allow membership to any Southern Baptist Church so long as they maintained active status in the Masons. (never did it though)
    But the Masons went on record that if that happened we would loose 1/2 of the baptists in our churches. Sadly they were mistaken about their numbers but there is a Large Body within the Baptist Churches as a whole.

7. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

originally posted by revmitchell:
    I agree!

We have a new member who posted in the Welcome Forum:
    Sad... :tear:

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

It is so sad to see christians who are so blinded, with no discernment, accept freemasonry as if it were Christianity itself. They are worshipping and glorifying satan and don't know it.
    I saw on John Ankerberg years ago when we still had his show here and several weeks long series on freemasonry by an ex freemason from high up in the ranks who had gotten saved. I was appalled that there are christians who believe this is compatible with Christianity.

9. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

This is from the Grand Lodge of Missouri Website:

This is in their public information. What goes on in secret is hardly of consequence when it is clear that even publicly, the masons are universalist at best.

This is clearly incompatible with Christianity

10. Soulman

Soulman New Member

My Dad is a Free Mason and has been all his adult life. It is a shame. I have tried to show him Jesus on several occasions. He has been horn swaggled by this cult.

He is 75 years old now and living in Fl. I am in NH. I am going to try to get down to see him once more. Please pray that when I go down in Feb. 2007 that God will touch his heart with the light of the gospel.:jesus:

11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Praying for your Dad... :praying:

12. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Thank You Le Buick

13. Oasis

Oasis New Member

You and your Dad will be in my prayers, Soulman.

14. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Soulman,

I am praying for your dad. I have seen God set men free from the lie and bondage of masonry. I will pray your father will respond to God's call.

Bro Tony

15. teachermom

teachermom New Member

We'll all keep praying and you keep persisting. My father-in-law was a Mason for years. My husband and his sister persisted until he finally saw the truth. After being a very active member of a Baptist church for most of his life, he concluded that he had never been saved. He received Jesus as Lord and Savior and was baptized not too many years before his death from cancer.

Don't give up! Keep on keeping on!

16. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

Here is the letter I wrote when I resigned from all Masonic bodies: (including Freemasonry, York Rite, and the Shrine):

To the Master, Officers and Members
    Dear Friends,

It is with regret that I submit my resignation from all Masonic bodies. I have taken this step in spite of the fact that I value very deeply the friendships and associations I have developed within Masonry over the years.

I had delayed in paying my yearly dues to see what kind of decisions North Carolina Masons would make this year.

Recent decisions taken at the 216th Grand Lodge Annual Meeting show that Masonry in North Carolina is still mired in a river of racism. The continual refusal by members of the Grand Lodge of AF & AM of North Carolina to recognize Masonic members of the Prince Hall Lodge is a sad commentary on what was once a respected organization. Racism should not be practiced, nor should it live in the hearts, of good, upstanding, moral men of our state.

I also take offense to the referring of Christians who may criticize some of the teachings of masonry as “religious fanatics” which was done in the latest edition of the North Carolina Mason. Since becoming a Christian in 2001, I too have had doubts about whether Masonry was compatible with Christianity when members are required to swear oaths on a Bible and refuses to acknowledge Jesus Christ as our savior.

Our Lord said that "He that is not with me is against me, and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad." (Matthew 12:30)

Masonry refuses to confess Jesus before me, and Jesus has warned that "Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven." (Matthew 10:32-33)

Masonry establishes itself as a complement to ones church, which sounds fine. But while Jesus commanded us to "teach all nations" (Matthew 28:19-20) and to preach the gospel to everyone (Mark 16:15), Masonic etiquette forbids me, as a Christian from sharing the good news of Jesus Christ with my non-Christian brothers within the lodge.

Jesus also commands us to swear no oaths (Matthew 5:34-37) and these sentiments are affirmed by James (5:12). Yet the taking of solemn oaths is at the very heart of Masonic ritual. Likewise the apostle Paul commands that believers in Jesus not be "unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? And what communion hath light with darkness?" (2 Corinthians 6:14)

While Freemasonry teaches the unity of God, it does not center on the God of the Bible and His only son, Jesus Christ... while the Bible is honored, it is not viewed as the sole rule of truth. Good works and virtue are seen as the key to heaven within the teachings of the craft, not a belief in Jesus.

While I have been inactive in the lodge since I became a Christian, I maintained my dues in the organization. I have many friendships within the Masonic family and thank God for them. However, I have many friendships with Prince Hall Masons and the refusal to recognize them as equals among men is against the teachings of God and Masonry.

As a Christian I do not feel that I should publicly be a part of anything that would cause others to doubt my belief in Jesus Christ. It is obvious to me that belonging to an organization that still practices racism and teaches that his own works saves a man may be viewed by others as hypocrisy. Therefore I ask that my name be removed from the rolls of the Lodge.

I will continue to pray for you as brothers in Christ and ask that God continue to bless you as we all seek His will in our lives.

In Christian love

However, I would caution against posting things about Freemasonry that are not true. While the posters may be well-intentioned, presenting things as fact that are not, may have the effect of someone dismissing the whole argument. Things such as:

Though they swear an oath to God it is actually to the Catholic Church which stands in the stead of Christ. (This would be a great surprise to Masons and Catholics, as there is no denomination mentioned in Freemasonry and the Catholic Church for years did not allow members to belong to Freemasonry)
    and

They have to were always (under their clothes) a white sheep skin apron that represents purity. (The white sheep skin apron is only worn at burial)

17. deacon jd

deacon jd New Member

Rockrambler I really appreciate your input and respect your decision to seperate from Masonry I am sure it was not an easy decision.

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been interested in this topic (it’s an old post, so I don’t know if anyone will read this – I was just looking around).

I too, have seen problems with the fraternity, but I am also dismayed at some of the postings:

1. “Blood Oaths” are a misrepresentation of the “oaths” taken by the fraternity. The penalty of the oath is being expelled from the fraternity (which the members view as bad as several ancient torture/executions). The “oath” is that a member will abide by the rules of the organization or be kicked out. Still, you are taking an oath that you will support the fraternity. I’m stuck on this one. I’m in the military, and their oath to enlist, and re-enlist, is more severe.

2. Knights Templar origins are a romanticized view of some masons, and a battle call to some anti-masons who look at the Catholic Churches opposition and destruction of the Templar’s. It is also so improbable that it is generally dismissed by most credible historians.

3. The Royal Arch degree does not give any name for God not found in the Bible. “They tell you they alone know the true name of God. I don't know how to spell it though. Jahbaalos but it is pronounced (Jaw-bool-os) A combination of the names of the Gods - [Jah]ovah, [Os]iris, and . [Baal]” is a false statement.

While people being pro or anti masonry doesn’t really bother me (I don’t really have a dog in this hunt), it does worry me to see anti-masonry fantasy on this site used to denounce the fraternity. What does it say about the Christians opposed to freemasonry if they support their views by offering misinformation? Care is needed to support your view.

From what I see, the masons (besides contributing to charity), don’t actually do much. While in my state they claim to be Christian (acknowledge Christ, pray in Christ’s name, etc.), they still don’t recognize the Prince Hall masons. I know this is due to the average age of the members, yet they talk about being a universal friendship. I know this doesn’t only apply to the Masons, but one would think that their values would have made them the fore-runners of racial acceptance.

19. Allan

Allan Active Member

Then you my friend have done very little studying on the subject. I have friends AND family that have come out of that occultic fraterity and there is not a thing thus far they don't agree is in there. That aside, I also have books written by those who have come out of it and videos of it. I usaully give them to Masons who don't realize what they have gotten themselves into - usaully or they do know and don't care.
    Just where did you get your information from???

20. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Your statement on oaths is completely incorrect. The very first oath in Freemasonary that of the "Entered Apprentice Degree" states the following,

"...binding myself under no less penalty than that of having my throatcut from ear to ear, my tongue torn out by its roots, and buried in the sands of the sea a cable's length from shore, where the tide ebbs and flows twice in twenty-four hours, should I ever willingly, knowingly, or unlawfully violate this, my Entered Apprentice Oath, so help me God and keep me steadfast."

The next two degrees of the "Fellowcraft & Master Mason" have similar bloody oaths.

Also your statement of the oath to enter the Military being more severe is also a false statement. I served in the Military and did not have to swear an oath at all, much less any blood oath. At my induction the officer said to the group the following, "do you swear or affirm that you will defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign or domestic.." No blood oath. No requirement to swear at all.

I would suggest you do some real study before coming in here and sugar coating the evil that is the masonic lodge and their occultic traditions and ritual.

Bro Tony