1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Freewill Baptist Church

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Nicholas25, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

Hello:

I was saved and baptized at a First Baptist Church however I am a member at a First Freewill Baptist Church. Besides the obvious difference on salvation I was wondering what you guys thought about the FWB and do you still consider them Baptists? Thanks.

2. Psalm 100

Psalm 100 New Member

Other than the issues of the doctrine of grace and OSAS, what do the FWB believe?

3. dntccc

dntccc New Member

My wife and I attended a FWB church for about 8 months. Before this, we primarily attended Baptist churches that were probably SB. As far as I know FWB generally have the same beliefs as Southern Baptists (at least the church we attended). The following are where FWB differs in beliefs from Baptist (SB at least):

1. It is possible for a Christian to fall away and apostatize in which case, the person is lost and cannot be saved again (forever lost).

2. Foot Washing is practiced as an ordinance (in addition to believer's baptism and the Lord's Supper)

Here is a link to the National Association of Free Will Baptists website that has their beliefs - http://nafwb.net/tp42/Default.asp?ID=767

4. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

We are a Baptist Church that has Freewill in front of our name becaues we do believe one can leave or walk away from salvation. I rededicated my life to Jesus Christ over 19 months ago and in that 19 months we have did feet washing one time so I don't think it's a big thing in my church. I have love and respect for Southern Baptist Churches because I was saved and baptized in one and still attend one when we don't have service.

5. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Currently there are some 143 different Baptist denominations, that figure changes, so it may not be exact. Anyway the point being that often the differences are not all that great, and often people within Baptist Denominations may be the same denomination yet have a different belief on many things.

Anyway from the small amount that I know about the Freewill Baptist, It is my opinion that they tend to go more to the Arminian side of the argument and are influenced by the teachings of John and Charles Wesley.

A great Baptist denomination to be involved with!

6. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Baptist!

Why wouldn't they be considered Baptist? Do you think all Baptists are Calvinist??

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    SDA's practice footwashing and are Arminian when it comes to the OSAS question.

Calvinist theology is the ONLY basis for OSAS when it comes to Arminian vs Calvinist views.

The fact that many Arminians cling to "OSAS ANYWAY" does not change that fact.

When the Arminians in the SB cling to OSAS - their inconsistency gets noticed by BOTH the Calvinists in the SB denomination AND by the Arminians in groups like the FWB and SDA church.

If the SB church has abandoned the priesthood of all believers and has adopted a creed saying that you must believe in OSAS even if you are Arminian in your soteriology - to be a SB member - then I am not aware of it.

In Christ,

Bob

8. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Nicholas25:
    Hello:

I was saved and baptized at a First Baptist Church however I am a member at a First Freewill Baptist Church. Besides the obvious difference on salvation I was wondering what you guys thought about the FWB and do you still consider them Baptists? Thanks.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baptist!

Why wouldn't they be considered Baptist? Do you think all Baptists are Calvinist??

I understand most Baptists are Calvinists so I was curious as to what perception the ones that are Calvinists had of the Baptists who are not.

9. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

I am most proud to not be a member of one of the 143 different, but similar baptist sects.

Isn't it odd that what God's Word says, can be twisted or ignored 142 different ways? That's assuming, wrongly, that one of them is correct.

And no, I don't claim to have it right completely either.

10. Athanasian Creed

Athanasian Creed New Member

The Terms of Salvation. The conditions of salvation are: (1) Repentance or sincere sorrow for sin and hearty renunciation of it. (2) Faith or the unreserved committal of one's self to Christ as Savior and Lord with purpose to love and obey Him in all things. In the exercise of saving faith, the soul is renewed by the Holy Spirit, freed from the dominion of sin, and becomes a child of God. (3) Continuance of faith and obedience unto death.

Election. God determined from the beginning to save all who should comply with the conditions of salvation. Hence by faith in Christ men become His elect.

Freedom of the Will. The human will is free and self-controlled, having power to yield to the influence of the truth and the Spirit, or to resist them and perish.

Salvation Free. God desires the salvation of all, the Gospel invites all, the Holy Spirit strives with all, and whosoever will may come and take of the water of life freely.

Perseverance. All believers in Christ, who through grace persevere in holiness to the end of life, have promise of eternal salvation.

http://www.bible.ca/cr-baptist-freewill.htm

Ray [​IMG]

11. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Not all Freewill Baptist churches are exactly alike. The church my wife and I attend has never had a footwashing service in the five years we have been members. Our church is independent and autonomous. A "church board" governs the congregation. The church believes that salvation can be lost, although I was raised Southern Baptist and believe OSAS. The pastor and some of the church members are KJVO - and the KJV is the only version you will ever hear read from the pulpit, no matter who is preaching. The church believes that "predestination" means that God determined before the world was created the plan of salvation, and that He predetermined that anyone who would accept the free gift of salvation by their own free will and through the conviction of the Holy Spirit will be saved. Our church observes the Lord's Supper twice during the year - once at Easter and once at or near Christmas. Baptism is observed when necessary and not at some predetermined time.

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The question I have is - do all SB's believe in OSAS EVEN if they are not Calvinist??!!

What if one observes that the Arminian position is inconsistent with OSAS (as most Calvinists can see clearly) - and one is Arminian? Do they allow that kind of baptist to be SB?