1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Friend, child, son or daughter of God or bond servant or slave .... which are we to Him?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Nov 10, 2015.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now you could check every Greek lexicon there is and you will find no usage of that word other than the word “slave.” What is remarkable about this is though this word is used about 150 times in the New Testament in one form or another, 130 times doulos itself, and then sun doulosin the verb form, douloo, though it means slave, always means slave, only means slave, out of the 20 English translations of the New Testament, there are essentially 20 English translations of the New Testament, only one of them always translates doulos slave, 19 of them equivocate and do not do that. They even invent a hyphenated word for which there is no parallel in Greek, bondservant. There are only two options in Greek...servant or slave. There’s no middle concept. (http://www.gty.org/resources/sermons/GTY112/slaves-of-christ)

I have to ask if we are taking it upon ourselves to become to "chummy" with the Father, by calling ourselves friends, child of God or referring to Him as Abba Father? After all we were purshcased from the slavery to sin, and that makes us more indebted to our new owner. How do you see this, on a personal relationship side of the issue?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The post displays problem with logic.

It's not a slave "or" something else.
    The scriptures use many different pictures to reveal our relationship with God.

Yes, we are God's bondservants but we are much more than that.

Rob

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that many do not offer Our Lord the respect that he is due by the flippant use of His Name.

4. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.

5. MNJacob

MNJacob Member

The nature of the evolution (I'm not sure I should use that term on this board) of our relationship with the Holy God is beyond our comprehension. We start as His enemies, we are purchased as bond slaves at a terrible price, adopted as His children co-heirs of the kingdom, and called by Him as His friends.

I do not deserve it, and I am humbled and amazed that One so holy, would take one so lowly, and clasp him so closely.

#5 MNJacob, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christ proclaimed that the Father knows who are His. There is then that distinction, that brand, that title of ownership that extends from the Father.

In the Father's house there are vessels of honor and vessels not so honorable. But they are all His vessels, and He chooses the use of each.

Slaves were (in the ancients) branded or marked - so are believers.
    Slaves were to be attuned to the master's slightest impulse - so are believers.
    Slaves were to live by and carry the words of the master - so are believers.
    Slaves were to gather sustenance and rely upon the master - so are believers.
    Slaves were purchased by the master - so are believers.
    Slaves so branded and marked were for the rest of their life obligated to the master - so are believers.
    Slaves were considered as well as all the slave possessed as property of the master - so are believers.
    Slaves lived in conditions of the master's choosing - so are believers.

And on I could continue...

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus is even called our elder brother.

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree with the others. Each of these terms is used in Scripture and God chose to use each of them regarding our relationship with Him. The fact that He calls us children and we can call Him Daddy is straight from His Word. Who am I to argue with the Almighty God?