1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Friendliness

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Oct 4, 2012.

1. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know,but I have seen similar things all over. It happens in large cities like Sacramento, CA and in small towns like the one I live in here in northern MN.

I don't see it as selling myself on them - I just see extending grace and being friendly as the right thing to do.[/quote]

Also, the pastor seems to have difficulty remembering my name even though Ive met with him several times & have also spoken to him on the phone & via the e-mail. My name is very common like a Smith, Brown, Jones so ..... I just get the impression that getting to know me is a real low priority for this guy & his church. So then why would I want to rescripricate?[/QUOTE]

I cannot speak much to your situation because I do not know you or them. As someone who does have trouble remembering names and is extremely shy/quiet, I can only hope that a newcomer won't label/judge me to be unfriendly or uncaring based on a few sighting without trying to get to know me.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    TC....please understand that its a matter of attitude.....I mean that no matter how shy a person is one can always take half a minute to say "hi & welcome to our church" .....thats it! Its really not that complicated as Peter Morici (Economist) would say in a Copier Commercial. LOL.

3. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

Brother, I am well aware of his posts and his low opinion of me and anyone he has deemed beneath him. I admit that some of this had angered me early on but I thank God for helping me to hold my tongue, for the most part. I admit I too have my moments where my self control is lacking.:saint:

There are two ideals that hit home for me this week.
    1. Love and pray for those who mistreat you.
    2. Forgive, or God will not forgive you.

4. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I had to jump in on this one. I serve a very friendly and loving church but the vast majority is over 50. Recently I've had some younger adults visit and some of them dared to wear a hat in the sanctuary and at a fish fry that we sponsored. Almost immediately they are approached and asked to take off their hat. There was not "Hey, we are glad you are here." It's was more of a "how dare you wear a hat in here" kind of approach. IMO you don't hit young people who take a chance on attending an older congregation with that sort of thing right away if ever. So far, these visitors have not come back and I really can't blame them. Are we more concerned about the gospel or a hat on someone's head?

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Well said, you are more gracious than me.

6. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

God is faithful to complete the work He started in us. I know I have a long way to go yet. Usually He speaks through my bride to let me know when I have been too harsh or just irritable.

To keep in the zone of this thread...He is making me, and others, more friendly. :p It requires, and begins with, a heart transplant.

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You want to openly criticize my post for reasons I have no idea of and then you post this false garbage. Show me one post where I have said anything close to what you posted above or you are guilty of what you are accusing me of.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep, you want to go that extra step ....LOVE YOUR ENEMY!

Both you guys are pastors, you have both dedicated yourselves to following Christ & becoming fishers of men. You cannot build on enmity, unforgiveness, repressed hurts, denied feelings & unconscious anger because it will eventually show as unfit foundations for the Christian communities you both are trying to build. Yes they might appear to be energy in the short term, but they will eventually rear up as negative energy & gentlemen that negative energy is incapable of both starting & maintaining true Christian life. It is the journey into the deeper life that Christ demands of us that is essential to genuinely building a faith community. Loving our enemy's is the hardest but in the end also the most rewarding.

I pray that both of you will heed Christs most difficult commandment.

#68 Earth Wind and Fire, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2012
  9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are no enemies here. And if he had an issue with any of my posts then he should have pm'd me as would be the correct step given by scripture.

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

.................Never mind, the problem is obvious.

11. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is just not true in my experience. You do not seem to understand how hard this to overcome. At one time, I was so petrified of people that the thought talking to anyone sent me into convulsions. I have nearly passed out more times than I can count trying to speak to people. It has taken many, many, many years of extremely hard work just to get to where I can function halfway normal.

I highly doubt that the entire church you speak of is full of such extremely shy people, so there must be something else at work. Nevertheless, it is better to extend grace and be friendly even if you don't think they will respond in like manner.

12. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    'I and my Father are One!"

"here ole isreal , the Lord our God is One!"

NO disunity amomg them!

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That kinda thing happened to me once at an Easter service......my wife wanted to try out a local Methodist Church & I had a real bad cold with a sore throat that had been keeping me up so I did not really get any sleep but I acquiesced to her wishes. My son was a little toddler at the time & he was being difficult.....so we load him into the car & go to the church & the wife has to move the kid to the back of the church to keep from being disruptive. I was barely conscious of the fact I had a cup of coffee I brought into church (I was kinda zoned). Well after the service this deacon comes up to me & asks if I was a visitor & then reams me for bringing in the coffee into the sanctuary. To your point, my family & I never went back there. Good thing too, God was watching out because they are & were very very liberal.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are not focusing on the full context of the conversation.