1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

From IFB to SBC

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by dommyroo, Jul 8, 2003.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Just the one statistic of how long a pastor stays on the average in an SBC church should tell you a lot.

2. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

As far as I know it is fairly consistent with all congregationally led groups. No one is arguing the average SBC church does not have its problems. But the original poster's reasoning for not joining the SBC is definitely skewed.

3. All about Grace

There is a 7-page thread on the spirituality of coullotes and yet someone is going to question the legitimacy of switching from the IFB world to the SBC???? [​IMG]

4. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

dommyroo said:

Furthermore I don't believe that God would ever direct a preacher to do this.

Well, maybe he found out otherwise, or maybe just got sick and tired of all the rhetoric that says if you're SBC you're a liberal/not right with God/a sellout/whatever.

5. John Wells

John Wells New Member

dommyroo,

As a fundamental, calvinist, reformed Southern Baptist :D I could easily be offended by your "better than thou" view of your denomination. I'm pretty sure you would have to agree with me that neither the ifb nor sbc are perfect subsets of the body of Christ. [​IMG]

While I would also agree that the ifb probably doesn't go as far to the left (liberal) with individual churches, they do go further to the right (toward legalism) than sbc churches. But I believe there is a lot of middle ground where there would be more to agree upon than to disagree upon between various churches/congregations of our denominations.

But to toss "all respect" for your former pastor without knowing his heart smacks of: whom do you worship? The IFB or Jesus Christ? I'm sure you feel very strongly that you are worshipping in the church where God has placed you. Is it really unthinkable that your former pastor is shepherding in the church where God has placed him? Is everyone who is not in an IFB church NOT where God wants them? :rolleyes:

6. Willow 2

Willow 2 New Member

Dommyroo: To me that is unchristian like in Ifb, cause i know my Church welcomes all christian's no matter what denomination they are. & also.. how does that look to the lost soul's that are hearing about that?

My Southern Baptist Church welcomes all people, No matter what denomination they are or what color they are or anything...if they want to worship the lord...they are very welcome!

But i have be around to most SBC in my area, & they are the most loving Church people that i have ever been around....

And also...our Deacon's donot have they say alone in what happen's, Nor do they have the only say about the pastor...They make sugestion, & then it is voted upon, but the member's also can make sugestion also, & then that is voted upon also.

7. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Dommyroo,

I think you may have some misconceptions about Southern Baptists. Some of our perceptions are true in some of the churches.

But you know what? It isn't a sin to be Southern Baptist. Believe it or not, there are some very Godly people who are southern Baptist. It isn't like your pastor friend committed adultery.

If it is that big of a deal to you, call him. That is the biblical thing to do.

8. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

So true, true, true SaggyWoman!!

And you know what I would be if I weren't Southern Baptist, huh??

Plum ashamed, Saggy! I'd be plum ashamed!

Your Southern Baptist preachin', not ashamein' buddy,
    Blackbird

9. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not a sin to pick your nose either, merely disgusting.

Jason :D

Note to Saggywoman, Blackbird, other SBC members, and moderators: This was said in jest, and I hope everybody takes it that way too. While I believe IFB is superior to SBC (otherwise I would be SBC instead of IFB), I was raised and saved in an SBC church.

Okay, everybody laugh. now. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Well if we have a 'dumbest thing said on BB.com' this one should win top award! Surely it's a joke!

I am quite sure that I could go to Sherrie and Singing Cop's church and would be VERY welcome!
    [​IMG]
    Diane

11. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

It's not a sin to pick your nose either, merely disgusting.

</font>[/QUOTE]I am fixin' to pick your nose, buddy! Where is my bat to help humble this boy......
    :D :D Somebody whoop this boy up good. [​IMG]

12. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

dummyroo,

After reading your ridiculous posts, it is easy to see why this pastor left for the SBC.

13. dommyroo

dommyroo New Member

If you have any more hateful pm's you'd like to send,well, I've disabled that. Put them all here for everyone to read.

14. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member

Let's play nice now!!! Remember what mom always said "if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all"
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, I'll attempt to say something nice. :D

Joining an SBC church can be a very helpful and even necessary thing to do in some situations. *** I asked for something nice or nothing at all** [​IMG]

Jason

(watchin' out for that big ol' bat. Good thing I'm quick).

[ July 30, 2003, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: C.S. Murphy ]

16. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I know some very nice IFB's....
    Jason, I have two SBC wooden bats hanging right next to my computer desk in our t.v. room. I'm going to hand it to Blackbird and have him give you a big SBC lesson! [​IMG]

Come on now... we're not THAT different! LOL

Oh Blackbird..... [​IMG]

Diane

17. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now Saggywoman and Diane with a bat, I can handle, just don't call ol' Blackbird down on me! :D

Just as a note of reference --- the most influential people in my life have been other than IFB. I would like to publicly thank Rev. Tom Norris, Southern Baptist preacher, for the guidance he gave me while I was under his pastorship. He taught me where to stand and how to be a Christian before I was even saved. I look back on the things I learned in that church and thank God for the pastor. I am also blessed to have known Southern Baptist Pastor Jimmy Harriss and his church. They were there for us when my wife and I were going through a difficulty, and when I was being called to the ministry. Two men, both Southern Baptist ministers, who have had a profound effect on my life. There are others I could say the same about as well.

As far as someone switching from IFB to SBC, I could see where an IFB preacher could be led to an SBC assembly. Hey if the Lord chose me to be a pastor at an SBC church, I'd go.

18. Siegfried

Siegfried Member

I have extensive ongoing contact with both IFB and SBC churches. The vast majority on both sides have radically skewed views of the other. The composite picture of both groups does not match their stereotypical charicatures.

That said, SBC polity is structurally flawed in that the churches surrender so much autonomy (by surrendering so much money) to denominational control. Despite great strides, many SBC churches still indirectly support mission endeavors and other organizations that I seriously doubt match the theology and ministry philosophy of many of the local churches.

Before you SBCers jump on me, it is also certainly true that many IFB churches do the same thing out of stupidity or ignorance, but for them it is generally not a constitutional structure. They are not intermediated by a third party like the IMB or NAMB. There is a quantitative, but perhaps not qualitative, difference in the autonomy that is surrendered.

19. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

May I say that what REALLY matters is that the SBC and IFB hold the same fundamental beliefs about scripture, Christ Jesus, etc.... If I put on a dress and we met somewhere, you'd be hard pressed to decide if I were SBC or IFB.
    [​IMG]
    Diane

20. All about Grace

Your 2nd & 3rd paragraphs above prove your own point here.