1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

From Philadelphia to Laodicea

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Palatka51, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

As a Church are we in transition from a Church of brotherly love to a Church that's lukewarm and more concerned about it's pocketbook? I for one believe that we are.

From the AP
    On one key measure that has hurt Democrats before — the God or religion gap — Obama made up ground. He won a slightly larger share of weekly churchgoers than John Kerry did in 2004.

Philadelphia (Sorry about the spelling in the title. May haps a Mod will lend a hand and correct my mistake for all the spelling police out there)

#1 Palatka51, Nov 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2008
  2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Transition???

The church in America has been lukewarm for generations. She think she is rich and needs nothing, but the truth is far from it.

3. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

I did not want to come right out and say it Roger but yes, in my heart of hearts I believe you are very correct. :tear:

4. Allan

Allan Active Member

I agree and have been preaching it thusly for years now.

I call it the "American Church" or the "Americanized Church" and compare it to the biblical model of who and what the Church actually is. I don't lay the blame on nor state it is particular churches but address the spiritual disease that many believers (thus churches) have willingly taken to themselves.

No understanding of committment thus no real committment to anything.
    No real desire for a relationship that isn't centered on me
    No real desire to obey - Their personal entertainment has become their Lord
    No real desire to pray

The list goes on and on. What America has 'at best' is a shallow childish christianity because it has been left to fend for itself. The American Church is like the child that was cast aside. Sure they (the church) wanted to do what was necessary to create it but they did not want the responsibility of having to raise it so they leave it to itself or whoever might come along and teach it (whether good or bad). We as a church body in America no longer seek to teach and mentor because it conflicts with our personal wants and desires on not only our money and things but time as well. We quote John 3:16 but neglect 1 John 3:16. Oh that the Church might once understand the true meaning of what it means to be the Church.:praying:

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

Allan, I would really like to see a thread about this type of thing, and some discussion abou this and the church, no politics involved and who voted for who. I think this might be interesting to discuss. An examination of ourselves our churches, and the american church in general, digging out the problems and seeking scriptural solutions. think you'd be interested in starting a thread like this.

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I think it is a mistake to label the "Church" as this or that. We can only do so with individual congregations.

All of us are familiar with churches which are pretty committed to missions and evangelism, to gospel preaching, to discipleship and maturing church members, to earnest prayer.

And then there are those that aren't.

Allan, you make a good point, though, about the "Americanized" churches. We're pretty soft.