1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Front Page Users

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by LindaB, Jun 13, 2002.

1. LindaB

LindaB New Member

Thought Id start a new area just for Front Page Users, if you have problems or questions, perhaps this could be the place to post and respond!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Linda
    [​IMG]

2. Andrey

Andrey New Member

Does anyone know how to modify the tables that Front Page writes for the page borders to add the summary tag to them?

The summary tag is REQUIRED for tables if one wants to meet the accessibility standards.

Microsoft has not answered this question for me after days of trying.

andrey
    www.achievebalance.com

3. LindaB

LindaB New Member

4. Andrey

Andrey New Member

Linda, that is a great resource, but it doesn't address the question I asked.

Front Page creates tables for the page borders. It does not allow you to write code for those tables, they are automatically created.

Therefore, they do not have summary tags.

Therefore, no web site created with Front Page 2002 can meet accessibility standards unless a work-around is found.

That is what I seek.

By the way, I also use HTML-Kit which is at the same website to which you referred and find it the BEST text-editor for HTML pages on the planet!

Andrey
    www.achievebalance.com

5. LindaB

LindaB New Member

maybe its time to let go of accessibilty standards, seems to be a big issue!

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By "accessibility standards," are we talking about voice programs for the vision-impaired?

I personally don't use FrontPage; but if I recall correctly, Frontpage Express (years ago) used to have a tool function that allowed you to edit HTML code. Don't know if FrontPage 2002 has that, but that would be what you're looking for, Andrey.

7. Andrey

Andrey New Member

Thanks to both of you. Accessibility standards are what keep content and design separate, so that no matter how you access the web, you can get at the content.

Some designers ignore this, mostly because they have a paper-design background and don't understand the beauty of digital information.

I work with blind people in my day job, helping them use technology to get through college and to get high-quality jobs by being productive.

Ink on paper doesn't communicate to the blind, as graphics without alt tags don't communicate to the blind.

However, digital content communicates very, very well.

Front Page 2002 allows you to edit the HTML that the program writes, but not all of it. Since all Federal sites now MUST (by Federal law) meet accessibility standards, federal webmasters will not be able to use Front Page until Microsoft makes modifications to the program!

Andrey
    www.achievebalance.com

8. InHim2002

InHim2002 New Member

I think it does allow you to edit all of the html - I am running FrontPage 2000 here and clicking the html view brings up all the generated code for me.

9. Rev. Sam

Rev. Sam New Member

What servers can you use Front Page with. I am having a hard time finding servers that will let you enable Front Page.

10. InHim2002

InHim2002 New Member

You use frontpage with Microsoft servers (NT 4, Windows 2000 etc)

If, however you do not use the frontpage 'features' (ie the search and advanced dhtml stuff that it adds for you) you should be able to host a site created in frontpage anywhere - you would just need to have an ftp client to transfer the files to the server (rather than publishing it through frontpage extentions).

Servers that support frontpage extensions tend to be expensive.