1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fruit of the Spirit

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Nicholas25, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

Do you agree with me that all born again believers do not have the fruit of the Spirit in equal abundance? As I look here in the Holman Christian Standard Bible and I read "love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith, gentleness, and self-control" (Galatians 5:22-23), it's obvious that some believers may be more loving or more patient, for example, than other believers. Colossians 3:12 tells us to put on "heartfelt compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience." (HCSB) Now, can we as Christians, though the help of God's Spirit, improve upon these weak areas? If we lack patience or self control or even kindness, can we through prayer and scripture study and meditation, improve in these areas? I feel too many of us settle where we are at and do not look to improve upon our weaknesses. Your thoughts?

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmmm....this is how I'll say it.

I do not believe that all true, born-again believers bear the fruit of the Spirit in equal abundance. Too many other things get seeded and blossom inside of us - resentment, disloyalty, anger, fear, and more - and those weeds and thorns of the flesh can compete with the fruit of the Spirit in our lives.

The flesh and the Spirit don't have the same agenda.

And sometimes when a devote Christian experiences the storms of life or the tremendous pressures of life, he or she will allow the fleshly "fruits" to prevail.

3. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

4. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

Would genetics not play into this as well? Say a man or woman inherited a personality from his or her mother or father that is not as naturally loving. Much of what we are is from inherited genetics. I just read two great books on former UCLA Men's Basketball Coach, John Wooden. He is well known for patience and kindness, but he himself said that he inherited that from his father. I just think some things, some of the fruit of the Spirit, are easier for some of us to bear.

#4 Nicholas25, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2011
  5. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Genetics might play into it, but more likely how one is nurtured, how early one is brought into Christ and what sort of outside influences affect the life of the individual are more important.

*I* didn't have a loving patient mother. If the genetics held true, then I should be a jealous, controlling, critical woman, but PTL I am NOT. I was saved early and recognized early that her life wasn't following what I read a woman/mother was supposed to be like. In my case the leading of the Holy Spirit and the influence of more mature Christians had a greater effect than either genetics or raising.

But that is just me. Scarlett has the right of it in her post. Sometimes the "weeds" overtake our lives.

6. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

Ok, can we improve upon our weak areas with the help of the Holy Spirit. I want to say that the answer is yes, because God is the one who convicts believers with a desire to change and grow, not to mention the scripture I quoted in the lead post.

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

What's the purpose of this post?

8. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

I have areas (patience and self-control) that I want to work on. These two areas do not come naturally to me, but they are fruit of the Spirit and things we are commanded to add, put on, etc.. several times in the scripture. I feel that most people, as born again believers, do not change much from their natural personality in some regards, meaning a hyper person for examle, does not all of the sudden become passive. I was wondering what others thought about a believer being able to change things in their personality. I am not talking about sin, I am talking about personality stuff.

9. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

To have us ALL realise that we are still immature, and MUST have the HS producing better and more fruit in our lives?

10. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Nicholas,
    All believers are to pray and seek to grow in grace in areas we lack...

be careful with patience.....

Paul as an apostle had to learn .....he was in prison for ten years when he wrote this;
    patience is the ability to remain ,or abide under stress....if you pray for patience be ready because the tribulation will soon follow...

#10 Iconoclast, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2011
  11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I agree. We are not all at the same place in sanctification.