I have been a Christian for over 40 years and realize that there is nothing that I did or could have ever done to merit salvation. I know my Savior called me and I give Him the glory and praise. I must admit, however that I am not a well educated on some of the doctrines and other areas Theology such as the Dispensations and in particular what some mean by the "Sovereignty of God". Please understand, I don't presume to suggest that just because I don't understand something, doesn't mean that God is limited by my understanding or my viewpoint. But I very much want to understand the truths about this debate about Calvinism in the Southern Baptist Conference. I do not hold the Conference above my Lord and Savior, yet the concept or reality that God chose specific people for Hell and others for Heaven is a teaching that I have never heard from the pulpit. I have always understood Election to mean God before the beginning of time fore new who would receive Christ’s call and who would reject Him. But to say He simply won’t call some; is difficult for me to reconcile with so many other scriptures. My Bible study group of senior men from our Baptist church has been given a CD by John MacArthur on the Sovereignty of God. As I understood the CD (and I listened to it several times) MacArthur states specifically that God predestined some to Hell. Of course since Hell exist, some will occupy it, but I have always been taught that it was the ones who refused the call of Christ to Salvation. We had so many of the men in the study that were floored at this interpretation that the Pastor came to explain and clarify (Apparently he is a Calvinist) He says the Bible makes it clear but I am having trouble agreeing it is that clear. I do not hold myself up as someone who is a Biblical academic but if within the SBC only around 10% of the pastors are Calvinist, are the other 90% simply ignorant and we are talking about some who have committed themselves their whole life to the study of God's word. I accept the God is not a respecter of persons but I do need help understanding why I have never heard Election presented from a Calvinist perspective and I have been a member of over 15 SB Churches and AB Churches. Please don't take offense at my questioning but I am really torn up about this. I continue to pray. I just ordered Warren Wiersbe's "Classic Sermons on the Sovereignty of God". Please pray for my understanding and I would appreciate any counsel.