1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Frustrations at my job

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Bobby Hamilton, Apr 10, 2012.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

When we were first in this house, we had a few claims. One was a roof leak that damaged our living room badly. I had to poke holes in the ceiling to stop it from collapsing and it damaged the ceiling, insulation, carpeting, new furniture, etc. We finished out that claim with no troubles. When we had 3 more subsequent leaks, we didn't claim them because honestly, we didn't want to risk our insurance and the issue was the roof so we kept dealing with that and finally found the problem and hit it with the big hammer (it was a bad design, we fixed it with a commercial roof).

Two other claims had to do with an awning that we had. The first was it being damaged in a storm and the second was it being damaged from rain (filled with water and destroyed the structure). They were amazing to work with in this and the second time they at first denied us because it wasn't "structural" but then they called us back a week later saying they made a mistake and since it was anchored to the patio and anchored to the house, it WAS structural and thus was covered.

Those three claims are all we've had so far but they weren't tiny claims - all running around $3,000. In the grand scheme of things they weren't huge at all but still, State Farm was amazingly prompt and easy to access. I can't imagine switching from them now!

2. Bobby Hamilton

Bobby Hamilton New Member

LOL.

I get where Matt Wade is coming from, I do. I just think there is more to it than "what is the cheapest"

I don't know Matt from Adam, but I wonder if when he goes to the grocery store...every item he buys is the "cheap" brand. Or when he buys clothes, does he buy the store brand or a brand he prefers? Does he have Cable/Sat when he could just have antenna. Does he have a car that gets 35 miles to the gallon or 15 miles to the gallon? Does he use dial up internet at home or high speed?

I'm all about saving money. I also think sometimes there is more to it than that.

I'll gladly spend 5.99 for a 24 pack of Dr Pepper vs 3.99 for a 24 pack of Dr Thunder. Why? Because Dr Thunder tastes like crap and Dr Pepper is awesome. Same reason why when my wife and I go out for a date without the kids we'll go to a nice sit down restaurant instead of Burger King.

3. Bobby Hamilton

Also...this isn't meant to be a "ZOMG...STATE FARM IS THE BEST EVA" type thread either. There are a lot of quality insurance companies out there. And I also know there have been times where I wasn't proud of a decision SF made.

My point is, State Farm, or whoever you are with...sometimes there's more to it than a 10 dollar a month savings.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yep. I do think that our agents help as well too. As I said, having and knowing an agent makes a world of difference in experiences with claims. To not have a person that I can go to for questions/help would really not be worth it to me.

5. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is Interesting....

...I've never expereienced a cashier not wanting to hand me any amount of loose change. I can see your point, though, and I'd want it too. My wife and I have around three hundred dollars in pennies. so I'd be asking too! :smilewinkgrin: Every penny adds up... :type:

6. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Understand where you are coming from....but

Woman ran into my garage and front fence after I moved into my new home....been with the insurer about 3 weeks.....lousy service...woman was on some drug and as 3rd party insurance is NOT compulsory in this country I was a victim twice. There was no way the insurers were going to get anything out of the woman because she was on the dole.

As a nation we ALL have been rolled by the insurance industry with the Christchurch earthquakes.....my insurance went up about 700%....of course I looked for a better deal even though it was only a few dollars.:tonofbricks:

7. Bobby Hamilton

You had zero loyalty. That was my point. Your insurance company didn't want to help you...and hadn't helped you, and had been crappy about it. They hadn't paid out to you over 100 thousand dollars in losses in your time with them.

If I had crappy service and a crappy company, I'd be looking to change no matter how much I was paying. As a matter of fact, I'd probably be more than willing to spend more to get away from a crappy service to a good one. I'm not sure who wouldn't.

To be fair, though, I don't know how good/bad insurance companies are outside of the US because I don't have to deal with that.

8. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All things being equal, $124 a year is close to my price tolerance where I would consider a switch. However, if I had been with an insurance company for 20 years, had received hassle-free claim payouts of over $150,000, I wouldn't switch.

I suspect one or two years after the switch this guy will have his rate increase and come crawling back to you. In fact, there are pretty funny State Farm radio ads about this scenario--a guy switched insurance companies and now needs to make a claim and is sorry he dumped State Farm.

9. Bobby Hamilton

Rate increases are the norm in the insurance business. What people don't understand is...EVERY company is subject to them.

Larger companies tend to be ahead of the curve. We'll do a rate increase, people will leave. They'll pay less than the increase, but more than they were before. After a few years they come back, but they are still paying more. If they had stayed, they would be ahead.

I've seen studies where people would shop prices every 2-3 years. Over a 15 year period of switching to "what is cheaper"...if they had just stayed where they were originally, they would've come out way ahead.

People need to be informed. But again, it's not always about price.

10. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

There is a company here that pays a loyalty incentive.....certain discounts on products when you have been a customer for x years, it is a sliding scale. It is a good idea, and it has been a MAJOR consideration in making decisions in relation to them.