1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fundamental Hypocrites

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by csmith, Mar 10, 2005.

1. csmith

csmith New Member

I am an Independent Fundamental Baptist Pastor (don't throw any tomatos).

I have been in enough of the IFB circles long enough to know that we have been guilty of establishing our own righteousness. We have made rules that are not Biblically mandated, yet we enforce them in our churches.

I don't think it hurts to be introspective and honest about this problem. I also welcome non IFB to point out different failures you have noticed (whether they be practiced by IFB, SB, MB or otherwise).

Here is one: (do you know any?)

"It is a sin to go to the beach!"

2. Britney

Britney New Member

well csmith I am a IFB but its not a sin to go to the beach. But to be around all of the immodesty that would be there would probably make you think of ungodly things and it would probably be adultery, and that my friend is a sin.

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I agree Brtiney. It is dangerus at best to go anyplace where you know people will be immodestly dressed.

4. csmith

csmith New Member

See! Here is our very problem. We as IFB categorize sin in with many "neutral" things. Of course it is wrong to submit yourself to immodesty, but submitting yourself to immodesty is not the same as going to the beach.

That would be the same as saying, "Women who wear pants are sinning because they are tight and could cause men to lust after them."

We have been guilty of assuming that an activity is sinful based on what it "could" become.

Maybe my example was a bad one. This summer I will take my family to the beach. I know of places we can go that others don't come. If you go on a Wednesday, the beach is usually deserted. We don't dress like the rest of the world. So, all of the sudden, going to the beach isn't a danger--not near as dangerous as standing in line at the grocery store anyway (magazines).

Does that make sense?

5. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I also agree. In my home town we have one of those "Water Parks". You can drive by it everyday during the summer and you will see (through no fault of your own) the most skimpy outfits imaginable. We call it "The Snake Pit" LOL [​IMG]
    It is not a sin to swim, but it sure could tempt one to sin in their heart should one swim "co-ed" in todays environment.

In HIS service;
    Jim

6. csmith

csmith New Member

I agree with that too.

7. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I think csmith has a point. Often the emphasis is place on things like going to the beach, or a TV, these are nuetral things. Sin is a heart problem, a TV, or going to the beach do not make me sin, rather I choose to sin.

I disagree with CCM, but rocky music itself is not a sin. If it was I would be in sin whenever I am in a grocery store, or take my wife out to eat.

If I willfuly listen to music that will hinder my relationship with Christ and that does not glorify God, I then am commiting sin.

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Of course that makes sense, yet when ome says "go to the beach" your first thought is a public beach with people barely in swimsuits. I don't anyone would says its sinful to go to a beach in Ireland in the winter.

9. csmith

csmith New Member

More examples

Men with beards
    Women with pants
    TV--as mentioned above
    Theatre
    Public Universities
    Military
    Southern Baptist Churches
    Christmas Trees
    Alcohol--some of my herbal medications contain vodka

This is my point. These things above are not intrinsically evil, but we have loathed them for so long that we forget that some people in some circumstances can be righteously partaking or participating.

I guess it comes down to the fact that many of us IFB have pushed our own convictions on people when we shouldn't have. I have been guilty. It drives people away.

What are convictions and standards for?

10. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    it is the age old battle that legalistic Christians try to put on us. You must do what the Holy Spirit tells you to do...and your walk with God is your walk with God, no ones else's.
    I am not sinning when I go to the beach because I don't lust after anyone there anymore than I do anywhere else. How silly.

11. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

There are three ways in which Christians live:

In legalism
    In licenciouness
    In the liberty of Christ. Obviously this is the way we ought to strive after.

12. IfbReformer

IfbReformer New Member

I am glad that you and man other IFB Pastors are taking internal look at their churches and the movement as a whole.I am glad that you and man other IFB Pastors are taking internal look at their churches and the movement as a whole. I have been in IFB churches my whole life(I am a member and teacher at one now) and still believe they are salvagable.

It was encouraging for me to recently talk with the Senior Pastor of and IFB church in my area who told me that he has heard of good discussions going on right now at fundamental baptist seminaries. I am really excited to see the return to our core beliefs in the next 10 years or so - God willing.

What you are talking about is the very thing my website is dedicated to http://www.ifbreformation.org

We need to get back to fundamentals, and clean out all the garbage and man-made rules that have built up over the years.

Colossians 2:20-23(NASB)

" 20 If you have died with Christ to the (BB)elementary principles of the world, (BC)why, as if you were living in the world, do you submit yourself to decrees, such as,

21"Do not handle, do not taste, do not touch!"

22(which all refer to things destined to perish with use)--in accordance with the commandments and teachings of men?

23These are matters which have, to be sure, the appearance of wisdom in self-made religion and self-abasement and severe treatment of the body, but are of no value against fleshly indulgence.

We need to stop submitting to the rules of legalism(self-made religion and commandments and teachings of men) and get back to teaching what God says. I have never said I think it is wrong for a IFB Pastor to share his opinion on an issue not expressely talked about in the scriptures - it becomes wrong though, when he fails to distinguish between his opinions on issues and what the Word of God actually says.

IFBReformer

13. IfbReformer

IfbReformer New Member

14. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

What is the sin in a man having a beard?

Is there something wrong with me...I go to the beach with my family, go on cruises, and can honestly say I don't pay attention to the swimsuits of others. Maybe I've just grown callous or too old, but it doesn't bother me what the women are wearing at the beach or on cruise ships.

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I wear a beard and have for years.

Part of my beach/swimsuit problem is that I have five sons. I may be able to train my eyes, but consider it unwise to expose my sons to near nudity.

16. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Should we not be willing to give up our 'rights' if they may cause us to stumble? I know firsthand what the fruit of lusting after women is, and I know that immodest women are waiting at the beach. What's a free-willed Christian who likes to swim to do? I know that if God wants me to swim, there will be a big swimming hole in the kingdom waiting for me if I will just walk after Him for the short time that I am in this corrupt body.

17. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I will never trust my eyes again as long as I live! Well, maybe someday, when I have cataracts, I will be able to go to the beach ;)

18. csmith

csmith New Member

There is not a thing wrong with beards. That is the point.

19. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

csmith, what I was asking, is why would anyone think a man wearing a beard is a sin...not necessarily now but in the past. I remember as a child hearing people saying a man shouldn't wear a beard, but never heard the reasoning.

Any one have an idea what the reasoning was???

20. csmith

csmith New Member

In Bible college, our college president forbade the young men to wear beards saying that it wasn't "becoming" of a man in ministry.

There can't be a good reason for someone believing it though.

I have no clue where it all started though--makes no sense.