1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fundamental Hypocrites

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by csmith, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Jeffrey H

Jeffrey H New Member

It's matter of the heart. Why do we go to the beach in the first place? I go to enjoy the water, the outdoors, and sunshine (all created by God for our enjoyment).

If I go to secretly admire sunbathers, then that is another matter. As we men are fully aware, lust is not limited to the beach.

Since about two-thirds of the American population is now considered over-weight or obese, the temptations may not be there to start with. [​IMG]

Enjoy you summer!! :cool:

2. Rocko9

Rocko9 New Member

Jeffry,
    I'm sure I'd scare a lot of people away from the beach, but no I do not believe that it is a sin to go to the beach there is a lot of shoreline at most places if you feel the need to be away from certain types of inmoral elements. You will see more temptation at a shopping mall but I am safe from that since I hate to be in a mall in the first place.

3. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

This matter of going to the beach being a sin was new to me when I was first introduced to it by American missionaries. To me going to the beach was a family thing, and here in the UK & Ireland most people put on clothes to go to the beach. However, I did go to a beach in Florida and instantly understood why my brethren had this standard, and immediately took my family elsewhere.

Want to go to the beach? Come to the British Isles where we experience wind burn rather than sun burn.

[​IMG]

See what I mean?

4. Liz Ward

Liz Ward New Member

Lol, someone will now tell you off because your wife is wearing trousers. I've lost count of the number of times I have explained what happens to skirts in March [​IMG]

Liz

5. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

Before anyone tells me off, I should point out this is not me or my family - just a pic of some folks on an Irish beach.

6. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I live in the frigid north, at least when it comes to beaches, this not an issue locally. However, I do know of a church on Spain's Costa del Sol. They go down to the beach after dark. Plenty of lights and activity, but cool enough for folks to be reasonably covered.

Too many, We don't go to the beach sounds wierd. Working in San Francisco, I quite understand the predicament some are in. Now, don't tell me there are issues locally you have to take a stand on, that I might shake my head in wonderment until the reason was explained to me.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Some of my friends who are or have been missionaries in the interior of countries find that the people are not always so covered.

8. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Since the title of this thread is "Fundamental Hypocrites," let me add another example which, at least in my own experience as an IFB layperson always sort of irked me.

While I don't hear much about this topic any more, there was a time when I could recall some IFB preachers telling us it was a sin to work a secular job on Sundays. They never gave any NT verses that specifically condemned that practice; however, I would assume that they derived such a belief that it was a sin to work on Sunday based on OT prohibitions of working on the Sabbath.

What would irk me about many of these preachers is that once the Sunday morning service was over, where would I find them? You guessed it....eating out at a restaurant--thus causing the restaurant employees to have to commit the "sin" of working on Sunday!!

If that wasn't hypocrisy, pray tell me what was it?

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The nurses and doctors in hospitals should have posted a sign saying that they will not work on Sunday to attend to anyone who attends an IFB church but all others are admitted.

10. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Well, even rabid sabbatarians know that the Lord specifically taught that works of mercy, necessity, and worship were within the will of God for the Sabbath.

(Just because you don't understand another Christian's ethics doesn't automatically mean that he's a hypocrite.)

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

All fisherman go to the beach. I always thought Jesus and many of his disciples often at the beach.

12. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you think it's a sin to work on Sundays? I am a 911 operator...and I have to work Sundays every so often, I go to whichever services I can, such as when I work 0600-1600 on Sundays, I go to the evening service, if I work 1000-2000 on Sunday, I go to Wed evening services, and if I am off on Sunday, I got to BOTH services. I pray daily and I work in every ministry I can. I take vacation and teach in Vacation Bible School,
    and I trade shifts and serve the Pro Teens banquet....etc, etc. I SERVE THE LORD WITH GLADNESS, but my job is an essential service that requires 24/7/365 coverage. Where am I sinning?

Debbie C

13. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I am grateful for those who must work when I am not. I have been in this situation many times. Debbie C, you are saving lives. I thank you for being there.

14. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Along with all of our medical professionals, let's not forget each of our communities' "finest": our law enforcement and firefighting personnel--most of which quite often must work on the Lord's Day.

This past week was set aside to commemorate those people who died in the line of their duties. While the media often tends to focus on the few times that some of them may have perhaps over reacted to a situation, my hat goes off to those men and women who wear the badge!

Then too, with today (May 21) being Armed Forces Day, I certainly salute another group of people who often have to work on the Lord's Day--our brave men and women who wear the uniform of our nation's military.

May God bless all of these people whom I've mentioned.

Where would we as a nation be without them?

15. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen!!!

Essential services.....law enforcement, EMS, and armed forces.

Debbie C (who goes to work tonight at 2000 and off at 0600, so I won't make the morning worship)

16. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Essential...what about those who must work to support their families but cannot find a job that will not work them on Sundays?

17. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmmm, I will not reply to that...I think that falls under the category of "between you and God", don't you? I don't think it is my place to judge why another Christian does a certain thing.
    I have to tend to my own back yard.

[​IMG]