1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Fundamental View of Faith

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Van, May 14, 2012.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would anyone have objective evidence to refute the notion that the ratio of anti-Calvinists is much higher among in IFB churches than SBC churches? For example and I am making these numbers up for illustration, say in the SBC churches the ratio is 50/50, but in IFB churches the ratio is 80/20 with anti-Calvinists in the majority.

Can anyone put some meat on those hypothesis bones?

2. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually Eph. 2:1 doesn't clearly state that. Someone added some words to make it clearly say that.

Also you -- being dead in the trespasses and the sins, YLT

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The premise that we cannot discuss the IFB doctrine of faith because some adhere to Calvinism and some adhere to anti-Calvinist views such as Christ died for all men is without merit. The issue is not whether Calvinism is false, which its defenders would deny, but what are the views of IFB churches.

Does anyone have the integrity to answer question number 2 from an IFB perspective?

2. What criteria does God use, according to scripture, to choose to credit a person's faith in Christ as righteousness?

#23 Van, May 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2012
  4. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    His verse doesn't say anything about quickened.
    Does quickened mean we have been saved or does it mean we are set apart in Christ for salvation that was wrought for us by the grace of resurrection from the dead of Christ through the faith of Christ See verses 5,6 Eph 2

I believe, we receive the Holy Spirit because of the; By grace through the faith.

This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses. Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.

That is my,"fundamentalist," thought.

However I may be a, "fundamentalist," of one.

:)

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Percho, "quicken" means "made alive" and thus we are made alive "together with Christ." Therefore when we are separated from Christ we are dead spiritually, and when God puts us spiritually "in Christ" we are made alive, regenerated, born again.

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This view is anti-Calvinist because the referenced verses say Christ died for all and for the whole world. The question is: Is this the majority view of IFB churches?

7. 12strings

12strings Active Member

What do IFB fundamentalists think faith looks like?

Q1 - It depends if they are calvinists or not.

Q2 - If the faith is in Christ, and not in their own good works. Now where the faith comes from ultimately...it depends if they are Cal or not.

Q3 - No...see the book of James...True faith will produce fruit. (both cals and non-cals would agree here.

8. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I'll have to assume you are close on your 80/20 ration for IFB, though I'm not sure if there have been any surveys:

BUT...I believe you are a bit off on the SBC 50/50. A 2007 survey showed that recent grads of SBC seminaries were about 30% Cal. But in the SBC as a whole (in 2006) it was closer to 10%. I believe this was pastors, not church members surveyed. SEE SURVEY HERE:

http://www.bpnews.net/BPnews.asp?ID=26914

From the studies:

#28 12strings, May 15, 2012
  9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

This thread reminds me of the old joke about the church that was voting on a chandelier for the lobby.

A crusty old church member stood up and said, "First of all, no one here can pronounce the word right, second I don't think anybody could play it, if we got one. And what we really need is more light in this place."

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks 12 strings for addressing the topic, how refreshing!

Putting your two posts together, you seem to be saying

1. The Majority of IFB churches probably agree that the fallen are able to seek God and trust in Christ.

2. The Majority of IFB churches would probably think God would credit a person's faith in Christ as righteousness if it was in Christ alone for salvation and not based in part on works. You did not provide scripture for this, but I would cite James 2:5 where God chooses those rich in faith, keeping His promise to those who love God. In the example of Abraham, we see a person who was a doer, i.e. a person with dynamic faith.

3. Yes, we agree on #3! :)

#30 Van, May 15, 2012
  11. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    let me make sure I understand this: Based on one IFB church's statement, your made-up number of 80/20, and someone's opinion that 80/20 might be close (with his admission that it's an assumption, because there are no known surveys) - we now come to the conclusion that "the majority of IFB churches...." ?!?

Post the statements of 100 IFB churches, and let's see if 80 of them fall into the category. Until then, your statements are without merit.

Again, the fundamental--all puns intended--problem with your premise is that you're identifying IFB churches as a group similar to the SBC. IFB churches are independent; meaning, they may come from camps with similar beliefs, but they don't all agree, and they certainly don't ascribe to a baptist convention that holds all participating churches to a standard set of beliefs.

In other words, your whole premise, the foundation of your discussion, is based on an over-generalization error.

You can disagree with this all you want; and you can try to deflect it and say it's simply people trying to dodge the discussion. But I, for one, frankly refuse to shoehorn all IFBs into a mold simply because that would make things easier for you.

Like I said - show us 100 IFB church statements, and then you can actually provide documented facts regarding your statements.

12. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. When Christ, our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.------That is the manner in which we are quickened with/in Christ, me thinks.

For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven (shall appear)with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so (BY being resurrected from the dead) them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. Then we which are alive [and] remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. (IN glory)

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Don, I am sorry you equate a working hypothesis with a conclusion. I asked for others to provide meat on the bones, and you observe I presented bones with very little meat. Really helpful and very insightful. :)

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Percho, you seem to be addressing being made alive physically at the second coming and I am addressing being made alive spiritually when we are spiritually put "in Christ." See Ephesians 2:5 and Colossians 2:13. Note in some sense (spiritually I believe) we have been "made alive" a past event of those saved and forgiven!

15. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

What question? I don't see where he asked me a question.

16. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Psst- (I know you know this but...) all SBC churches are independent also. There's really no difference except that one cooperates with the SBC in evangelism and missions and the other cooperates with another group (BBF, ABWE, BJU, UBF, etc.) in evangelism and missions.

17. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    (yeah, I know; but I was making an over-generalization error that Van didn't catch (namely, that all SBC churches have to sign an agreement to a statement of faith in order to be called SBC). What do you think: Is my point made?)

18. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Um...opening post?

19. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

If there is a point in this discussion that is it.

20. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Weren't you the one that used 12Strings post to make a statement that said "the majority of IFB churches"?

Frankly, honesty says "one poster does not a majority make." No one trying to make a valid argument would ever take one respondent and say "majority" without ensuring qualification of the term--which the respondent did, by pointing out that he was unaware of any surveys on the subject, and thus identifying his statement as opinion only. Thus, the quantification of "80/20" and the use of "majority" are immediately invalid.

All I pointed out was that your wording was trying to add meat that isn't there. All I've ever pointed out is that your posts are, for the most part, prone to logic errors (specifically, over-generalization). Sorry if that hurts your feelings, but I call them as I see them. It's easy to fix, though; find the statements of 100 IFB churches, post them out somewhere for examination, and show that the majority agrees on any/all/certain points. Then neither I nor anyone else can give you grief.

Of course, until you do that, I will continue to point out that you make logic errors, and therefore are necessarily relegating your posts to opinion only, rather than factual assessments worthy of further contribution.