Fundamentalism & Bible Presbyterian

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

A BB member who cannot post in this forum asked:

The issue is cooperation between fundamentalist, if one group is not "baptist". Let's not focus on the KJV issue here (not for this forum) but the principle of how much interdenominational cooperation can be done between fundamentalists.

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

Minimal for me, I think I've written about my views on infant baptism. And don't even get me started on the Puritans here in Mass Bay Colony and the Church of England and their treatment of our Baptist forefathers. I for one am not willing to forgive and forget.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

Concur, Squire. I have no truck with paedo-baptists, which I believe is a horrendously false doctrine.

Too bad Luther didn't have a 96th Thesis on the evils of infant baptism!

4. Matt Black

Matt Black
    Expand Collapse

Luther's problem was that he was trying to square the circle of the Constantinian concept of Christendom with his new (old)doctrine; he ddn't want to abandon Constantinianism in favour of the (Ana)baptist concept of the gathered church and paedo-baptism was an integral part of the Constantinian system; thus we have all sorts of nonsense from him about paedo-baptism being the NT equivalent of circumcision.

Yours in Christ

Matt

5. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry
    Expand Collapse
    <b>Moderator</b>

With folks like Bible Presbyterians and some PCAs, this is a matter of the degrees of fellowship. Remember, it is not all "in/out" decisions. There are some varying levels of fellowship we might have.

6. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

I could come to some sort of rapprochement on the issue if the Reformed\Presby\Congreg\Wesleyans didn't keep insisting it was a nonessential issue. Well, excuse me, how many of my continental cousins got dunked in lakes tied to cannon balls because of their stand?

And yes, there are degrees of closeness in our fellowship and cooperation. After all, Eisenhower had to put up with De Gaulle.

7. Bugman

Bugman
    Expand Collapse

Matt, Luther's view on Baptism did not revolve around baptism being the equivelent of Circumcision in the NT, that was Calvin. Luther believed infants had a faith and could be baptized on it. He needed to reconcile the fact that Only those who have faith should be baptized, so he beleivedf infants had faith.

Bryan
    SDG

8. Bob Colgan

Bob Colgan
    Expand Collapse

I came out of a KJVO Baptist church where woman only wore dresses and men wore ties. (woman where asked to leave if they didn't have on a dress and bellow the knee.) They would take a NIV Bible and throw it accross the room saying it was straight from the pits of hell. And don't think of bringing in any thing but a KJV Bible.
    And I know for sure they would have nothing to do with any group that even hinted at Calvinism and infant baptism you had better forget it.
    When you are involved with that doctrine every one is a liberal except I.F.B. KJVO Even today I hear someone say there Fundamental I first think of KJVO. But I know it not to be true I know the KJVO hijacked that movement years ago. But also believe some that use the fundamental title today aren't fundamental I.M.O.

Bob C