1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fundamentalism Is a Competition, and the Duggars Won the Christian Right

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Zaac, May 26, 2015.

1. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Fundamentalism Is a Competition, and the Duggars Won the Christian Right

The revelation that the eldest son of TLC's Duggar clan, Josh Duggar, had molested a number of underage girls—including his sisters—has created an explosion of attention and outrage. The fury has a sharp political edge to it, because the Duggars are important figures in the world of religious-right activism and Republican politics.

Blogger Tbogg at Raw Story reminds us of the Duggars' standing in this realm with a series of pictures of Josh Duggar posing with Republican politicians. Jeb Bush, Bobby Jindal, Rick Perry, Scott Walker, Mike Huckabee, Rick Santorum, Ted Cruz: Posing for a picture with this guy is apparently a requirement to run in a Republican primary. Some of the more far-right Republicans used the Duggars to signal how down they are with the religious right. Rick Santorum, in particular, loved the clan and put them front and center in his campaign efforts.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_facto...so_why_did_so_many_republicans_love_them.html

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is the theme of the article:

Yet when I read the article and read the blog linked to in the article I see no evidence that "far right Republicans used the Duggars". I do see Josh Duggar taking selfies with Republicans and posting them on his Twitter account. Where, oh where is the evidence that Republican presidential candidates used Duggar in their campaigns?

3. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Got me. I've been noticing a lot of articles lately that don't seem to have anything or much to do with the article's title.

Perhaps they mean that Republicans have used them the way that they use the Duck Dynasty folks to appear hip to what their "constituents" are?

I mean what reason would all these guys really have for mugging with the Duggars?

4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you look at the time stamps on his selfies on his Twitter account several of the shots occurred within days of each other. He could have been at the same functions as the candidates and simply worked the room to get his photo taken with them. Duggar was chairman of a pro-life lobbying group so their paths would cross.

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a young man getting his picture made with important pro-life people. His father was a political figure and he may have had those aspirations, too.

This is NOT political candidates seeking out Josh Duggar, but vice versa.