1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fundamentalisms & Scholarship?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Orr and Warfield did contribute articles to "The Fundamentals" , but I wouldn't call them Fundamentalists as such . Orr for instance did not agree with biblical inerrancy .
    Machen pointedly delcined to be identified as a Fundamentalist . Allis doesn't fit the mold either .
    Warfield , Machen and Allis were conservative , Reformed scholars . Men of that stamp were rare in the Fundamentalist movement which really started in the 1920's .
    It would be interesting to see how many other men who contributed to "The Fundamentals" would have lined up with the distinctives of the Fundamentalists of the 20's-50's . I have a feeling the number would have been small . Most of the contributers had died by that time anyway .

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rippon, my point was not that these men were Fundamentalists, but that Fundamentalists respected them as scholars. My evidence was that they were included in the famous "Fundamentals" pamphlet series. That series, according to many historians and almost all informed Fundamentalists, was the inspiration for the name Fundamentalist and the foundation from which the movement sprung.

Since you bring it up, histories of the movement are universal in their inclusion of Machen, though as you say he himself did not like the term. Machen left Princeton because of modernism, was defrocked from the Presbyterian ministry because of his formation of an independent mission board in protest against the liberalism of his denomination, and wrote such books as Christianity and Liberalism, Modernism and the Board of Foeign Missions of the Presbyterian Church in the united States of America, etc. (Who Was Who in Church History, Elgin Moyer, rev. ed., 263-264). Ernest Sandeen gives him 20 or more pages (The Roots of Fundamentalism),

I don't have time to discuss Warfield, but his book on inspiration defined the subject for Fundamentalists.
    I have a feeling the number would be large. When I went to BJU in 1970-1972, when it was the premier Fundamentalist school in the country, over 60% of the students were not Baptist. I roomed with a Presbyterian and a Methodist, and had a Pentecostal in the next room.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well , earlier you had stated that that "there were many noted scholars among the original Fundamentalists of the 1920's-1930's." I disagreed with your observation . In particular the men you advanced as being "among" them .

"The Fundamentals" may have been a springboard -- but many of the contributors would not have been aboard the ship 'Fundamentalism' had they survived until the 1930's .

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I made specific mention here of the original men who contributed to "T.F.'s" , not groups of people from various denominations generations later who became affiliated with Fundamentalism .

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    After looking back at my post--point taken.

This is an assumption. The only way to prove it would be to read biographies of all the men one by one, note their activities and then make assumptions from those facts. :D

The truth is, the terms fundamentalist, evangelical and conservative were used interchangeably until the late 1940's. Vernon Grounds discussed evangelicalism as the "new name" for fundamentalism, in an article in Eternity Magazine in Feb., 1956: "The Nature of Evangelicalism." And I could give other references from the scholarly literature.

6. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the following, I am only speaking to the stream of Fundamentalism coming out of the Northern Baptists and the Northern Baptist Convention.

A contributing factor to the seeming lack of scholarship abong Fundamental Baptists was the capitulation of the Northern Baptist Seminaries to Modernism and Liberalism. Some schools slide faster than others. However, by the late 40's none took the Historic Northern Baptist position. A case in point is the University of Chicago founded with money from John D. Rockefeller (of Riverside Church fame).

One bright spot of those who came out of the NBC was their founding of colleges (not institutes) for the training of their pastors. (as samples BBC-Clarks Summit, Western BBC, Pillsbury BBC, Maranatha BBC, Central Seminary, the late San Francisco Baptist Theological Seminary) Regretably it has taken the better part of three generate for the Fundamental Baptist/Historic Northern Baptist educational system to approximate the depth it had 100+ years. This is not to say there isn't room for growth. But it's getting there.

Another observation, the Historic Northern Baptists, I have known, did not denigrate scholarship just to denigrate scholarship. They just had severe problems with giving money or sending students to schools which had apostates for professors.

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well thought out and well said, Squire. This about sums things up. :thumbs:

8. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That should be three generations. Today it is more acceptable for a man to go to an evangelical school that fifty, fourty, thirty and even twenty years ago would have been a death sentence for his affiliation with Fundamental Baptists.

9. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

I agree. Defining terms will be pointless because the next guy will define them differently. If I were to say I'm a Fundamentalist to someone in Hammond, Indiana, most would expect me to have no facial hair and have a KJV Bible in my hands. If I were to say I was a Fundamentalist to someone in Deerfield, Illinois, most would expect me to have a high view of expositional preaching and "traditional" church.

I believe we should deal with things case by case.

10. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist