1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

fundamentalist?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Preacher Ron, Jan 4, 2004.

1. MISSIONARY

MISSIONARY New Member

Well, I am a independent, fundamental Baptist.

Why? Fundamental simply means I believe the fundamental truths of the Bible such as the virgen birth, death, buriel and ressurection of Christ etc.

Independent is a whole other issue. This is a sensitive subject that I humble enter into.

Our movement came out of the Southern Baptist movement. Why? Some of the colleges had begun to teach that the Bible contained the Word of God and therefore contained error among other liberal standards etc.

We could not see sending our funds etc to those that taught such things.

So we pulled out and started the independent movement.

Please understand me, this is not a blanket statement, I know there are SBC that are fundamental just as I am.

I truly love my brothers and sisters in SBC. So it is not about a lack of love but a stand for the inspired inerrant Word of God.

Missionary

2. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

IfbReformer & Dr. Bob:

I am very disappointed in your use of “legalist” as a propaganda tool. A knowledgeable scholar, such as you, knows better than call any Fundamentalist a legalist. Legalism, as you well know, believes that the keeping of the Law is necessary for salvation or at least it is necessary for keeping one’s salvation. I know of no Fundamentalist who believes this. Do you? If one is a true legalist, then he is no longer a Fundamentalist because basic to historic Fundamentalism is the belief in salvation by grace through faith without any merit of one’s own.

Essentially, you are using legalist to negatively label anyone who holds standards differing from you own. Even though I do not know you well enough to be conversant with your beliefs and standards, yet I will dare to say that you hold personal convictions or standards that do not have clear-cut explicit support from scripture. We all do if we any standards at all. Otherwise, anything goes that is not specifically and explicitly forbidden. BTW, true legalists took the explicit commands and prohibitions of Scripture and made them conditions of salvation. See where your presuppositions and implied arguments lead? Applying the same standard that you apply to others, you would be a legalist too. This is the area of application. The Bible, the Word of God, is not simply a list of “thou shalt not….” rules and prohibitions, even though it contains specific commands and prohibitions, but much of it is narrative, precept, and principle from which we make several applications. Some may make more stringent applications than you but this does not make them legalists.

My challenge is for you to Biblically refute their beliefs or at least give an intelligent arguement why you disagree--don't simply call them names (i.e. legalist). Name-calling is beneath your honor and intellect.

Nuff said. You get my point even though you may want to argue about the details.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

3. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Recently, I have found out that I am a Discening, Millitant, Fundamental, Strong, Biblical, Worldview Thinker. And all this time I thought I just believed God.