1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Fundamentalists least educated

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Luke2427, Mar 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Then you haven't read the whole thread.

Here are some other facts to chew on that your statisticians and pollsters would not take into account. Those are the type of "facts" that you spit out at us.

http://elearning.extraminds.com/Article/Is-Home-Schooling-Improving-the-Quality-of-Education

As I already said, it is unlikely that Barna took into consideration the entire home-schooling movement. I home-schooled all my children. I vowed that I would never put them into the public school system. But I am an educator, and that is another story.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Barna's entire goal is to tear down the traditional church. He and whatshisname viola love nothing more. They are part of the house church movement and they despise the traditional church. Barna is not credible.

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

It is unlikely that these few home school degrees are statistically significant.

4. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

Problem is, they are. I have been in several large fundamental baptist churches where the overwhelming majority of kids were homeschooled. I, and my 3 siblings were, as well as at least 14 cousins. A lot of my good friends (at least 15 I can name) were as well. It's a huge movement, and I daresay it's most prevalent in the fundamental group that you say is least represented in the academic field.

Edited to add: I would guess that you could also add in all the kids who graduated from a church-school as well.

5. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

righteousdude2

I believe there are some who because of "so-called advanced education" come to believe they are smarter than God. Bishop Pike is a prime example of this in my opinion. He apparently died in the Judean wilderness looking for the historical Jesus.

Below are examples of intellectualism gone wild!

I am not opposed to education that is useful. I have a masters degree in engineering and had plans to get my doctors degree but I believe God decided otherwise.

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

What it does is this: it turns your data upside down and on its head.
    The majority of fundamentalists will either home-school or put their children in a Christian school. Most fundamentalists have a "anything but public school" attitude. They don't want the humanistic, secularized education promoted by the atheists of this nation. They don't want the drug culture, the sex-saturated culture, pro-abortion taught curricula, etc. They want their children to be taught morals in line with the Bible, and their children to be taught in an environment that is safe and Godly. Most are opposed to what the public school stands for.

To say then, that these statistics don't make a difference is absurd. They are the difference. You are contending that the more conservative, the more fundamental a person is, the less educated they are. You are trying to prove this through some skewed statistics. You are wrong.

Those "fundamentalists" keep their children out of the public school system. Obviously the data is skewed, and your conclusions are way off base.

7. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

300 million americans

8. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Says who?

Says you???

And what makes you an authority Luke?

With the garbage being taught in our public schools today, I would have to say that Christian schools, and or, home schooling, where the option of Christian schools don't exist [due to money or locale], is a viable, and good option! Stats have already shown that home-schooled and Christian schools put out well prepared kids.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/01/homeschooled-students-wel_n_1562425.html

https://www.home-school.com/news/homeschool-vs-public-school.php

http://www.onlinecollege.org/2011/09/13/15-key-facts-about-homeschooled-kids-in-college/

9. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks....

...I do think that is what I was saying! But, thanks for the walk down memory lane! :smilewinkgrin:

10. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wife is not an educator, but she did almost all of the home-schooling of our only child. I just helped out with the PE and as principal. We had an excellent program though, and held our son to high standards. Paul has since earned his BA, MA, MDiv and PhD, all regionally accredited. I guess home-schooling held him back! :laugh:

Far more important than the degrees, though, is that our son is actively serving God in his local church (any pastor would be envious), and living a life consecrated to Jesus Christ.

Forgive a proud parent for boasting a little--but I think this does contribute to the discussion.

11. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

But we're not talking about ALL Americans, are we? We're talking only the fundamentalists. Classic Chewbacca defense.

We're talking about a much, much smaller number. And taking the perceived uneducation, and comparing it with the percentage of children whose parents refuse to allow them to attend a public, or even private non christian school.

12. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it's a worthwhile contribution. I have a 7 year old son who attends a small Christian school. The academic standard there is very high. Persistent scores lower than 87% are grounds for expulsion.

But along the same lines as yours, much more important is his life in Christ.

He makes me so proud. Numerous times during "free time", when they are allowed to play games, color, take a nap, etc., he's trying to round up three or four classmates to have "bible study"

It usually consists of him reading one of his favorite bible stories, then looking to apply how it demonstrates how much we can trust God every day. It's more like a sermon - lol

I absolutely care about his academics, but not nearly as much as I do his faith. The two are not synonymous

13. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

I Second that.
    When I took the G.E.D. test ( because the State refused to acknowledge my Bible courses as credits, I had to take it), I received a scholarship for joining the "Albert Einstein Club" scoring in the top 1% of those who take the test.

When I enlisted, I scored the highest score on the ASVAB, that to that date had ever been recorded at the Chicago MEPS Center.

But, according to P.U. polling, I am uneducated.

BTW, my Father has a Másters, and my Mother has an earned PhD in Molecular Biology, and is the director of Lab Studies at a Med school...so they should offset me.

Education is an idol, a false god. One's ed. is only as good as what one does with it.
    Ask Thomas Edison, Albert Einstein, and others, who would show up in this poll as "uneducated", what school is. School is the enemy of success, not the enablement of it.

Let's talk Psych 101, and it's design purpose, shall we? All who seek an education from this present World, must study their humanistic religión, no? Is doubt cast on anything Godly, in this class? Is all parental and Theological Authority challenged and maligned, or not?

14. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen, well said! And good for your boy. :thumbs:

15. North Carolina Tentmaker

Statistics from the National Center of Educational Statistics

https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=91

From the link:

The number of homeschooled children is clearly statistically relevant and is growing. The 2013 report shows 1,770,000 American children were homeschooled in 2013, 3.4% of school age children. Many homeschool advocate groups argue that the actual number is much higher as these numbers only count students in registered homeschool programs.

So we are talking about at least 3.4% of our children.

According to the Religious Landscape Survey (A Pew Report Luke), you can view it here:

http://religions.pewforum.org/pdf/affiliations-all-traditions.pdf

According to Pew, IFB churches make up only 2.5% of Americans. So we are concentrating much of that 3.4% of our students in that 2.5% of our population.

Yes, that is significant.

16. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Education is like a rifle, neither good nor bad in itself.
    A rifle can be used to provide food for a family, protect that same family, OR, used by a criminal to wreak evil on innocents.

Same with education. It can be an asset and blessing to let a person get into the deeper meanings of scripture, OR, as is true in too many cases, become a self pride issue that makes one feel superior to those not as sufficiently (?) educated.

Not every family needs a rifle for food, protection etc. AND not everybody needs advanced education to understand God's word.
    His word is sufficiently simple for most to understand to gain salvation and live a godly moral life, and "education", WHEN PROPERLY APPLIED, can lead to a deeper and fuller grasp of the knowledge of Him.

WHEN NOT PROPERLY APPLIED, -- well it's sorta like using salt instead of sugar when making fudge - a major disaster. And unfortunately some let their education go to their heads and begin to " ---- think more highly of themselves than they ought to think"!:tear::tear:

17. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I teach in a Public Institution, and I most certainly do not teach garbage.

18. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you teach half the ideas you claim to espouse here, you're teaching garbage.

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke is embarrassed by God's elect. He seeks the honor and praise of atheists and liberals, and thinks that appearing honorable to them, he will win some. (I'm being charitable. It's more likely pride maintenance.)

Now go back and re-read all Luke's arguments from that point of view, and you'll understand why he says what he says and the spirit in which it is said.

20. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Garbage like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Check your glasses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.