1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fundamentalist's Scholars

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Rhetorician, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Very well said. I believe it was Rennie Showers who said most scholarship is only accepted for the most part by scholars who agree, only in their camp for the most part. It was either he or John Whitcomb who pointed how much our government has spent to push evolution and kill creation.

So very true. That is what for years I liked about Dallas and Grace Theological Seminaries most of their professors were pastors of churches, they didn't get lost in their ivory towers.

2. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

So were most of the scholarly works done by Presby's? If so why is this? Is it still the same today?

3. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Most of the schools were of that type, Brown, Yale, and Harvard. Also keep in mind at the start Baptist or baptist types were not well like by the reformers. That is why my father said a Baptist couldn't be a Calvinist and he was very upset with me when I became a Baptist and dropped that view.

If I recall my history correctly, the Presbyterians and Methodist were the leaders in evangelizing this country at the start. Even during the war between the states Baptist preachers were at the low end of helping the troops on other side. Robert Lewis Dabney shows that from the Southern side.

Not as much so, today.

#23 Bob Alkire, Aug 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2010
  4. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Uh...I guess being a Christianity Today subscriber and a Wheaton grad makes me only slightly evangelical? Not hardly. These institutions bring forth a thinking people who interact with the culture around them. I was never taught to kiss up to liberalism or modernism or "godless evolution." But I was taught to interact with it. That's part of what makes a great scholar, anyway, like Noll, Marty, Marsden, etc.

5. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not to mention, if you were at Wheaton early enough, Dr. Kenneth Kantzer, Ph.D., Harvard Divinity School. He came under fire in his later years for not believing in literal hell fire, which was a complete distortion of what he believed and said. He later guided TEDS from a small denominational school to one of the premier Universities in the world. I'm not sure how Dr. Bob will dismiss his scholarly contributions to American Christianity, but I am sure he will think of something. :)

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have heard some say they buy sermons which work for them.

7. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Squire Response

Dear Squire:

I would tend to agree in the main. But I would also add that if the fundamentalist camp was doing anything noteworthy, then the broader evangelical community, yea verily, even the "liberals" would at least listen.

Agree? Disagree? What say ye? :thumbs:

"That is all!?

8. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I'm trying to say is it's only been in the last 15 to twenty years that Fundamentalism has had the luxury of theoretical scholarship. Regretfully, this means the pond is somewhat shallow though it is deepening as the East Texas crowd becomes more and more a fringe element. Also, please define "noteworthy".

9. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

No, I was there just a few years ago. The beliefs there are on something of a continuum, but it is solidly evangelical and dedicated to faithful scholarship. I really can't say enough good things about what they do there.

For a good account of fundamentalism's strengths and ultimate failures, Fuller president Richard Mouw wrote an excellent book called "The Smell of Sawdust," I believe.

10. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

jaigner, This is off subject, but I have a friend who went there back in the late 50's and he is not big on the school today. He said they have done like a lot of main line churches many Methodist and many Presbyterians to pushing a social gospel.

There is a current document known as the “conceptual framework” of the education department at Wheaton College which has to be endorsed by each of there faculty, this includes, the father of the social justice movement, Brazilian Marxist, Paulo Freire and former Weather Underground terrorist Bill Ayers. Just a glimpse at Freire’s foundational treatise “Pedagogy of the Oppressed” will clearly display his sources: Marx, Lenin and revolutionary murderers Mao Tse Tung, Fidel Castro and Che Guevera (see, “Pedagogy of the Oppressor,” March 28, 2009, in National Review by Sol Stern).
    Is this truthful or do you know?

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh come on SS, you know why.....nudge nudge

12. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

I can't say for sure regarding the education department, but it sounds fishy to me from what I know of Wheaton. They definitely do not push a generic social gospel. They teach very much how to engage and be a good steward of God's Word in the world today, which does include a social element, of course. But it is not detached from the true gospel of Christ. At least I was never taught such a thing. I was taught to be a thoughtful evangelical, and everyone on the Biblical and Theological faculty was completely orthodox and committed to Biblical faithfulness.

13. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Thanks.

President Duane Litfin seem to think it is true and good from what my friend has given me. He is one of the alumni who believes the school needs to get back on track and is working with the board, I guess trying to change a few things.

So many of us see things differently.

14. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because of (as a Princeton grad from those days put it) the flood of Modernism that swept the orthodox like Machen out out of the schools and denominations. Though, we do get some good stuff from Westminster.

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh I will bet you do! Some of these folks are a-cut-above.

16. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I read some Pickering stuff somewhere along the way, thought it was top-shelf.

I think that one's scholarship can be measured to a large degree by how well and accurately he represents the opposing viewpoint before disproving it.

17. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

That indeed is one of the marks of a true scholar.

18. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also, we are for the most part content to let Dallas and Biblotheque Sacra do most of the heavy lifting.