1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fundamentally dealing with suicide threats

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Salamander, Oct 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's be careful not to knock medications. It's the doctor's job to diagnose mental illness and medicine for it, not ours. If it weren't for meds, I wouldn't be alive today. "Trusting the Lord" doesn't mean ignoring a doctor's advice and/or not taking a prescription to help us.

2. Salamander

Salamander New Member

It's called a chemical imbalance in the cerebial cortex. Although some view this as mental illness, which is not correctable, this can be treated efficiently and with great results.

The problem for him started when his doctor tried practicing medicine instead of doing what they both knew worked.

This doctor ultimately caused his death due to denying to grant him the previous prescription; the new medicine didn't work.

3. Salamander

Salamander New Member

As far as I know no one has knocked taking medications, except where they were changed and the worse case scenario erupted.
    And every doctor is not God and some won't even listen to their patients!

My grandmother nearly cussed her doctor out for constantly changing her bloodpressure medicne after she had already told him about how sick the alternative ones made her feel. She had enough sense to get a second opinion.
    And as far as I know, no one has said any such thing.

Trusting the Lord does incorporate the wisdom to know God uses physicians to help with our medical situations. Anyone who doesn't realize this is in for a terrible awakening.

I know a couple who almost lost their baby by praying over him without seeking medical attention. They almost lost him physically to death and when DFACS found out how close to death the child was when they finally did go to the hospital they almost took the child away from them!

I trust the Lord to use men to help me.

Reminds me of the flood that came and the man went up on top of his house. A boat came by and he said ,"No, I'm trusting the Lord to deliver me from this flood." Then a helicopter came by, the same reply. The man arrived in Heaven to the Lord's reply, "What are you doing here so early?" The man said he'd been trusting Him and then he drowned, now here he was. The Lord said, "Well, I sent the fellow in the boat to rescue you and when you didn't get in, I sent the helicopter and you still refused.":eek:

4. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for clarifying, Salamander. I misunderstood.

5. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Not that I am placing any blame, but some members have aluded to that as if it is what I was saying in another forum. It was never what I said.

Medications DO HELP those who NEED them! And the Lord is the One who grants some the gift of healing.

This is probably one of the most misunderstood gifts of the Spirit due to the misapplication of the gift of tongues.

Suicidal people need HELP! I've been there, done that!

Have I ever been "mentally ill"? :laugh: By some people's standards I've never quit!

I am not making light of a truly serious situation, but as fellow labourers, we need to stop placing ourselves above sound reasoning which comes directly from the word of God.

The truth about the mentally ill is it IS a sin complication; not that it is a direct result of ones personal sin, which it can very well be, but it is a general result of sin altogether.

Sometimes it is demonic in origen, sometimes it is due to physical imperfections in the cerebial cortex.

Sometimes the chemical imbalance is a result often complicated by diet or previous drug abuse. This type of suicidal tendeacies can be medically treated, although it is NOT mental illness as the result of physical imperfections NOT caused by intentional activity.

We tend to lay too much blame on mental illness and are too ready to classify things under that heading.:godisgood:

6. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As there are many who would classify this thread as practicing medicine without a license, I am closing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.