1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fundamentals of election

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Salamander, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Salamander

Salamander New Member

I read this a while ago and thought it really sheds light in the discussion:
    Isn't this fundamental enough for everyone?

2. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't know why this is in the fundamental forum but here goes anyway.

Wasn't Jacob "chosen" long before that wrestling match was ever booked? Or, maybe that wrestling match was booked along about the same time that Jacob was chosen.

BTW, I get this way of thinking from the Bible, not philosophy. Do you need the references?

3. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Jacob's attention was drawn to the Lord's attention towards Jacob. I do not asee where Jacob was "chosen" before this encounter, except it could be construed as so in that God is Omniscient and knew what He would do beforehand and as prophecy is to be fulfilled in Jacob.

The fact remains that God never refers to Jacob as
    "elect" until AFTER God touched the hollow of Jacob's thigh.

The case being that until God touched Jacob did Jacob refused to let God go until God blessed him. It was not until this happened did God ever refer to Israel as "mine elect".

This is what I gather from the quotation. It is fundamentally a truth to be proclaimed!

It is another proof text that demands consideration of the fundamentals of our faith in that a change is afforded to any who God "touches".

God's "touch' brings about one of two things: death for sin, or life everlasting.

Now we wouldn't call being "dead" a matter of election, but everlasting life we would!:godisgood: