1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Funeral Idea

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dr. Bob, Jul 1, 2011.

1. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hope it all goes well with you. Sorry I have no suggestions for music, but I can sympathize as we've done funerals for some unsaved. It's a tough spot to be in. One thing my dh did was to focus on the man's role as father and how he loved his kids, then tie that in with God's love for us.

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks to all.

The only reason I am using lyrics is to "bridge" between the love/focus of this man and the family and friends attending. Have found that this is an effective inroad for Gospel truth.

Preaching from John 14:1-6 with Thomas' question about how do we get to heaven as the hook.

“Reason to Live”.by KISS

Out of love, there's nobody around,
    All I hear is the sound of a broken heart
    Out of time, no more waitin' for you
    Now the hurtin's through, and a new day starts
    And I feel a change in my life,
    I sailed into dark and endless nights
    And made it alive

[Chorus:]
    Everybody's got a reason to live, baby
    Everybody's got a dream and a hunger inside
    Everybody's got a reason to live

3. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Cudos to you for preaching in a rather impossible spot! Sounds good.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for prayers. Think it went as well as could be expected. Took a full hour and I stood for most of it (don't care for the "let anyone come up and say a few words/story/remembrance)

Church sound man, son of a funeral director, refused to play one of the songs picked by the family in the prelude, but they did not seem to miss it. It was a formal ELCA church, so he was guarding the sanctity of the auditorium. Wish some Baptists had as much discernment as that old gentleman.

Our US Senator was in the audience but slipped out quickly and I missed seeing him again. We go 'way back and he is a great guy

Will let God work in hearts according to His will, but we were faithful on our part of proclaiming repentance and faith for the living while eulogizing the dead.

5. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Glad that it went well for you. Sometimes tough situations are exactly what God allows in order that some may hear His message and feel His drawing.

6. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

No religion? No spirituality? Wanting music by Nirvana or KISS?

Might as well give 'em AC/DC's Highway to Hell. None of those groups are appropriate for a funeral.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    BB notified me that today someone "liked" my post on this thread. Forget some times that what we posted 6 (or 16) years ago on the BB are still "out there" and people reading them. And (rarely) some still getting a blessing or help out of them. :Rolleyes

8. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I use to play Heavy Metal, and it wasn't until well after I was playing music that I ever heard anything from KISS. My opinion of them was they were just a rock and roll band that could write catchy tunes. The make-up always turned me off. Never was much for production (most metal musicians are metal musicians because they love to make music, lol). Pretty tame, actually. And while they were definitely vulgar at times, it wasn't until I think the mid eighties, when they took off the music, that they tried to get into the metal scene (they also actually trespassed into the disco scene as well, lol, with "I was made for lovin' you") and I gave them any attention. Good guitarist (Vinnie Vincent if I remember correctly). They were in fact a party band. Very basic in their music. Nowhere near the quality of musicians we find in some metal bands, which, if you consider it, has the basic ingredients of Classical Music. I am a big Trans Siberian Orchestra fan, which in Midnight in Sarajevo we see the components of metal and Classical fused with a pretty impressive result.

God bless.

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many many years ago when in the ministry (Assistant Pastor) I was often assigned to local funerals in the Boston suburbs for the "unchurched" sometimes derelicts.

My solution: always preached/taught to the living (What else can we do?)
    John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. presenting the gospel - forgiveness of sin and eternal life through faith in the death burial and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Old hymn(s) Take My Hand Precious Lord

Never had a complaint but then again there were usually less than 10 in attendance (except for one occasion).

HankD

10. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remember that one of my preachers once said that he could ALWAYS make the following statement at the funeral of an unsaved - loosely quoted -
    "I always tell the family that ole John, right now, would strongly urge his family & friends to get right with Jesus immediately!!"

• Like Like x 1