1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Funny Missionary Stories

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Spinach, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Spinach

Spinach New Member

One of the first things I thought when on the mission field was that when God confused the languages, He did a GREAT job!

My kids giggle at language differences. In Romania, "kiss" is pronounced as "Poop". You can imagine my crazy kids with that one!

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I laughed out loud, Spinach! :laugh: :laugh: Missionary kids are wonderful. I love them! But sometimes they create their own culture from the two languages and cultures they live in daily.

I won't say who, but a certain mission executive and his wife once came over to Japan to visit us all. While they were at one house, a little MK boy said proudly to Mrs. Guess Who, "We have three benjos (potties) in our house!" The Mrs. then innocently said, "That's nice. Do you know how to play them?" (Thought they were banjos! After all, the Dad is very musical!)

3. Spinach

Spinach New Member

That's funny!

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interpretation errors

Interpreting for a visiting speaker is very difficult--and loaded with possibilities for funny stories!

I was once interpreting in Bible institute chapel for a seminary professor from the homeland who, being a cross-cultural beginner, used an illustration about a spittoon. Well the Japanese, being more intelligent than many Americans, simply do not chew tobacco. I had no idea how to interpret spittoon, but they told me later I said, "a utensil to throw up into." :laugh:

Missionary R., a friend of mine who is a very good linguist, was interpreting at our institute Bible conference for American evangelist Fred Brown. We had just finished a banquet meal and were seated in a conference room around a huge rectangular table when Brother Brown said, "We're like round knights at a square table!"

Of course this translates very poorly into Japanese, as with any pun. Furthermore, in history the Japanese had no knights. They had samurai warriors, a very different dude indeed! (No samurai ever opened a door for a lady. He was more likely to knock her over!)

Bro. R. panicked and said to us other missionaries, "Anyone know the word for 'knight'?" We were all laughing too hard to come up with it, but my son knew the word from his "Gundam" robots, and bailed the poor guy out. :thumbsup:

5. Spinach

Spinach New Member

I made a national pastor's wife laugh hard last week. She and I went to town to find some clothes for 5 abandoned boys, but she hadn't had breakfast, so we walked to a little bakery. She asked what I wanted and I said, "Anything." I hadn't tried those things before, but I was open to it. She got a goat cheese pastry (yum!) and a drink that looked like chocolate milk. Don't be fooled, my friends, not everything that LOOKS like chocolate milk IS chocolate milk. It was boza (you can google it). It tasted like sweet pinto bean juice. I must have made quite a face because she laughed at me. Then when another missionary wife joined us, I winked at the pastor's wife and handed the drink to the other lady, asking her if she'd ever tried this truly regional drink. She sniffed it and made such a face. Then we all laughed!