1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ga Tech's Michael Johnson

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by North Carolina Tentmaker, Aug 25, 2008.

1. North Carolina Tentmaker

Hey, those of you who know me know that as an alum and former player at Ga Tech I qualify as a Tech Football Fanatic (or at least Fundamentalist)

Here is a link to an Atlanta Journal article on DE Michael Johnson.

http://www.ajc.com/services/content...tech_johnson.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=21

From the article:

Johnson is apparently a follower of "The Way International." I am unfamiliar with this group but I always see it as a positive thing when these sports roll models our young people look up to are bold in their witness.

2. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

As a fellow Tech fan/alum, I was wondering the same thing as I had read the same article yesterday. I seem to recall some red flags about that group but I honestly can't remember what (or when or where) I read years ago. I'll probably check on it today myself, but perhaps someone else knows something.

PS: Just THREE more days to Kick-off! GO JACKETS!!! :smilewinkgrin:

3. North Carolina Tentmaker

Just be sure you can make ESPN360 work on your computer. No television. Or are you going?

Reading the article above it mentioned Johnson's parents, his mother was a baptist and his father a presbyterian but neither attend church now. They host home bible studies through "The Way" instead.

Anything that replaces traditional church bothers me.

But if what they are doing in their home is closer to what a real church should be then I don't know that it is bad, just not sure.

4. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

As a fellow fan & alum (class of '82), I appreciate you forwarding the story - interesting read. I hope to make it up there for a game or two this year, but have to wait until my son's high school team finishes their season first.

I will forward the info on TWI on the other forum. Hopefully, Johnson will head over to BSU. [BTW, do they still serve those lunches??]

5. North Carolina Tentmaker

Thanks FoS, I had already answered you on the other thread. Lunch at the BSU. . . I guess you can tell we are Baptists.:laugh:

I don't know about you and DT but the BSU was a huge help to me as a student. I came to Tech from a real small private Christian high school and was totaly lost on campus.

Until I walked into the BSU and found myself with a family of believers I could lean on. And I was not even SBC back then. I imagine all of them from my day are gone (class of '89), but I hope students today are blessed with the same type of caring individuals.

6. Doubting Thomas

Yeah, I'm going to the game. I live just 1 1/2 hours from Atlanta and I get season tickets with my dad every year. I'm excited that we have a great coach now.

Regarding the BSU, I didn't go that often since I commuted from Marietta for the most part and was still active in my local church. I do recall the lunches were pretty good...especially the rolls. :)

7. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Plus, you could always play a nasty game of ping pong there. It was always one of my favorite places to eat -- much better than Brittain dining hall (yuch!).

8. North Carolina Tentmaker

How about double deck hearts cancelation with 8 players and two decks.

Brittain is gone, I think they tore the building down for the olympics. And they moved Junior's Grill to the basement of the administration building. Nothing ever stays the same.

9. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Good riddance to Brittain. I was never a big fan of Junior's. Spent more time at MJ Pippin (pizza) or Reckshaws (egg rolls), both of which I'm sure now are history. Of course, I still make it to the V whenever I get up to Atlanta -- whether it's football season or not. Nothing like a couple of dogs and an FO.

10. North Carolina Tentmaker

I took my kids to the V last year when we were going through Atlanta.

They hated it.

Kids today.:tonofbricks:

11. Doubting Thomas

Yikes--I hope that my two boys won't hate it when they're old enough to go to Tech games.

"WHADDYA HAIVE? WHADDYA HAIVE?"

12. North Carolina Tentmaker

Chili steak, Chili dog, bag of rags and a jumbo FO

13. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Good stuff. My kids (teens) love the place -- though they get to go only about once every other year or so.

14. Doubting Thomas

Ahh...sounds like my order when I was down there for the Spring game :smilewinkgrin: