1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gal. 2-20 what does this mean to you/us .

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Mississippi John, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Mississippi John

“I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.”

2. Mississippi John

No response....Wow !

3. Mississippi John

Still no response..........y'all' scared to post ?

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If Christ lives in me, then I should want the things Christ wants. Since He gave Himself for me (and the world), I should then give myself to reach the world for Christ. That's what He wants!

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It means being a Christian is a 3-fold paradox. "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live;-- a dead person who is alive. "yet not I, but Christ liveth in me:"-- one person who is another. "and the life I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God,"-- a natural person directly linked to a supernatural world.

So I don't mind being a some funny kind of funny guy who is dead but alive, who is myself yet someone else, who is natural yet spiritual... because it means victory over my dead natural self by the living Son of God.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You've noticed the Baptist Board is NOT a "quick answer" - some threads stand for months with folks dropping by to visit only on occasion (I am like that on this forum)

The context helps me with 2:20

2:19 before it states, "For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God."

2:21 after it states, "I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!"

This focuses 2:20 as a simple testimony of what happened to Paul - dead to the Law and alive thru grace. Alcott stated wisely the contrasts/paradoxes and I concur.

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A smilar paradox:

Matthew 10:39 He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

HankD​

8. valiant4truth

valiant4truth New Member

May I propose a simple outline of the verse to state my position.

I. The Executed Life "I am crucified with Christ..." That speaks of "positional truth."
    II. The Exchanged Life "yet not I but Christ that liveth in me"
    III. The Empowered Life "the life I now live I live by the faith of the Son of God who loved me and gave himself for me."

The verse embodies, in a compacted form, the Pauline theology found in Romans 6. Our position "in Christ" has a practical outworking "through Christ."

9. brucebaptist

brucebaptist New Member

where you from in MS, John? i am from MS as well... grew up on the coast... born and raised...

my own puny little brain says that this verse means that our sins died with Christ on the cross. also, our 'old self' or our 'old man' was crucified with Christ.

we are new creatures. we live for Christ, and through Christ. giving our lives to him is our 'reasonable service'...

we live, as new creatures. with a renewed spirit. not a dead spirit but an alive spirit. we were spiritually dead but are now alive in Christ.

we now have eyes to see and ears to hear. we hear the words of Christ and we 'follow Him' and not the world. the world is dead and yet dying.

Jesus said, "let the (spiritually) dead bury the (naturally) dead..."

we are spiritually dead prior to the new birth but become alive through Him and Him alone... Jesus holds the keys to heaven and hell but also to eternal life, which no person can know without Him...