1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gal. 3:2 This only would I learn of you,

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by percho, Jun 29, 2012.

1. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gal. 3:2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

From define of at Dictionary.com
    Synonyms
    concerning
    regarding
    showing
    about
    from

Which of those synonyms would you replace of with in Gal. 3:2?

I will go with, concerning, regarding, about; because the faith is what Jesus did that allowed the Holy Spirit of God to be given to you.

John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

Does not that in bold in John 16:7 mean, If I am not obedient unto death even the death of the cross the Comforter will not be sent?
    It was after this discourse they went into the Garden of Gethsemane. It was at this time Hebrews 5:7,8 speaks of Jesus learning obedience. It was at this time Phil. 2:8 states he became obedient.
    Read Hebrews 12:1-4 and then ponder on passage beginning with verse 4 then seeing the death on the cross which followed verse 4 in verses 3,4 in verse 2 and understand that it was this obedience that made Jesus the author and finisher of the faith of verse 2. The word our is not in the Greek in verse 2. In the obedience of Jesus Christ unto death on the cross he became our faith unto life because God his Father raised him from the dead. The sinless Lamb of God died for us, paid our penalty. In reality by paying our penalty he, Jesus the very flesh born Son of God should have stayed dead for ever and ever. According to mercy he saved us by Grace, the resurrection of Jesus, through the faith, the death of Jesus.

It is that faith, the death of Jesus that allows the imputation of the righteousness of God to the elect. The elect are justified by his faith, the death of Jesus.

Unbelief is the condition of being dead in trespass and sin, concluded under sin by being under the law. One does not become a believer because he believes something, be becomes a believer because he is translated from being under the law to under grace by being given the promise of the Holy Spirit of God which comes through the resurrected Jesus who first received the promise of the Holy Spirit from God his Father.

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Eph 2:8
    For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God:

3. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

Paul gives two options here for the reader to pick one. Of course it is not the law. It is by believing that we receive the Spirit, which is another reason why we are not regenerated prior to having or in order to have faith.

NIV 2 I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by believing what you heard?

ESV 2 Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith?

4. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very, very true. Why the law? Really to shut the guilty mouths of all men.

Romans 3:19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.

By the law showing all to be guilty, it therefore concludes all to be under sin.
    Gal. 3:23 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin,
    And all were kept under the schoolmaster of the law, under sin until a very specific moment in time. The law was the schoolmaster unto Christ.
    Gal 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster [to bring us] unto Christ,

As a matter of fact the scripture states that while one was under the law, the schoolmaster, the faith which brought grace had yet to have been revealed to the world. That those under the law, the schoolmaster were garrisoned, shut up to the faith because it had not been revealed. I would assume that would mean that if this is the same faith as Hebrews 11 then all those spoken of after verse 29 being under the law could not have had this faith.

Just what really saves us?

Is it that Jesus the Son of God died for us and his Father raised him from the dead. Or, is it our believing that Jesus died and rose again.

Do we have any scriptural evidence that Paul the morning he left for Damascus was under any conviction relative to Jesus of Nazareth being the Christ or does all the evidence point to the fact that until the moment of Jesus calling him and physically blinding him of Paul being in anything but unbelief.

Did Paul by his free will suddenly start believing, have faith?

And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus. This [is] a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

That faith and love isn't what Paul had in Jesus but what was in Jesus and shed abroad in the heart of Paul by the Holy Spirit.

Did Paul elect to become a believer in Jesus or was Paul elected by Jesus as a believer, his apostle?