1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gal. 4:29

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Jeff Weaver, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

NUGGET 43
    "As then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now" (Gal. 4:29).
    Isaac was the promised seed of Abraham, while Ishmael was the product of a failed effort on the part of Abraham and Sarah to produce the promised seed. The only birth Ishmael ever experienced was fleshly. He was never born of the Spirit. His half brother Isaac was born of the Spirit, and because of this he became the object of Ishmael's hatred and persecution. And the apostle tells us that as it was then, so it is now. Put any two people together under these circumstances for any length of time and the unregenerate will persecute the regenerate. It is as certain as the sunrise.
    Paul knew very well how this works. Those who are born of the Spirit never persecute those who are only "born after the flesh." It is always the other way around. There are two reasons for this. One is, that they have no reason to persecute unregenerates, and the other is, they have a principle of grace planted within their heart that deters them from willfully inflicting harm on others.
    Cain is a good example of an unregenerate person persecuting a regenerate person. He was "of that wicked one" (the devil)---See Ist John 3:12---and slew his brother Abel. And why did he slay him? "Because his own works were evil, and his brother's were righteous." It is always true, in every case, that the works of an unregenerate are evil. His works are evil because he is evil, and he highly resents the fact that anyone else is righteous. The wicked would soon do away with the righteous if they could. They would destroy them from the earth if it were not for God's providential restraints upon them. So the apostle says to the humble followers of Christ, "Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you." Under the circumstances it cannot be otherwise. Ishmael is still persecuting Isaac to this day.
    ---Elder Ralph Harris

I am posting this with Elder Harris' permission. I found it of comfort to me. Elder Harris does not participate in this forum.

Jeff Weaver

2. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

Amen Jeff. Thanks.