1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Galatians 5:4

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by AndThisGospel, Feb 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To them, so they were really saved, but were trying to get under a RCC type of Christianity!

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am free from sin. The new man, my new life in Christ, is not only free from sin, it cannot sin. (1 John 5:18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not.)

The sins I commit are the product of the old man, the man of the flesh, not the new man. He cannot sin because he is bound by the law of New Life in Christ.

3. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rom 4:4 Now to him who works, the reward is not counted as grace, but as something owed.

God doesn't owe us anything.

Rom 4:5 But to him who doesn’t work, but believes in him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness.

Rom 11:6 And if by grace, then it is no longer of works; otherwise grace is no longer grace. But if it is of works, it is no longer grace; otherwise work is no longer work.

Trying to be saved by works nullifies grace. The two can't be mixed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

Yes, but that life is not in you, but rather in Christ in the heavenly places. You are a bit confused.

Here's some food for thought:

Col 1:13 NASB "For He rescued us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son, 14 in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins."

Eph 2:1 God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, 5 even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), 6 and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus

5. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, you are.

2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

Colossians 1:27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

6. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

When Adam and Eve fell, God shows us a list of consequences of mankind.

You would think the most harshest consequence the ability to do any good at all would have been mentioned.

Show us this in scripture instead of making up stuff.

7. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

You originally stated that, "I am free from sin. The new man, my new life in Christ, is not only free from sin, it cannot sin."

I responded with two verses (Col 1:13 & Eph 2:4-6) proving that "the new man" (what Paul calls our "new creation" - see 2 Cor 5:17) resides in Christ and He is in heaven.

Then, instead of addressing those verses, you jumped to 2 Cor 13:5 & Col 1:27

8. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

Okay, let's change the subject and go to your verses: "Jesus Christ is in you"

Where does Christ reside in the believer, or does Christ through the Holy Spirit reside in the believer? The latter. So "yes" God's Spirit (and "God is Spirit") resides in your "heart" through faith. This is what is called "the fruits of the gospel" or "Christ in you".

What does the Holy Spirit do? "I will give you a new heart" Ez 36:26 "I will put My laws upon their heart, And on their mind I will write them,” Heb 10:16

What laws? Answer: Romans 13:9,10

So what has changed in the believer? The heart & mind. But "in Christ" "all things have become new", not just the heart.

2 Cor 5:17 if any man be in Christ, he is a new creation: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. 18 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ...

If any man realizes of his new creation "in Christ" then he has heard the gospel. That person then realizes that "in Christ" he has "a new creation" where the old Adamic life is gone and in its place he, by faith, has a "new creation" in Christ in the heavenly places.

2 Cor 5:17 isn't referring to our experience, but what is true of our new status "in Christ". The only thing that has changed in the believer is "a new heart (mind)". Other than that we are still mortal - we still have indwelling sin and we still fall short of God's agape.

9. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

Once again we have gotten off the topic.

Why would [Paul] warn these churches if they were once saved always saved from under the law?

10. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

Bingo! It is one or the other, but not both. We are either trying to get to heaven by our law performance or we are resting in Christ by faith.

We can't add to Christ's completed work of redemption. To do so would be an indication that a believer had "fallen from grace". To "fall from grace" means you are back under the curse - that is, you are hell bound.

11. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Luke 14

16But He said to him, “A man was giving a big dinner, and he invited many; 17and at the dinner hour he sent his slave to say to those who had been invited, ‘Come; for everything is ready now.’ 18“But they all alike began to make excuses. The first one said to him, ‘I have bought a piece of land and I need to go out and look at it; please consider me excused.’ 19“Another one said, ‘I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I am going to try them out; please consider me excused.’ 20“Another one said, ‘I have married a wife, and for that reason I cannot come.’ 21“And the slave came back and reported this to his master. Then the head of the household became angry and said to his slave, ‘Go out at once into the streets and lanes of the city and bring in here the poor and crippled and blind and lame.’ 22“And the slave said, ‘Master, what you commanded has been done, and still there is room.’ 23“And the master said to the slave, ‘Go out into the highways and along the hedges, and compel them to come in, so that my house may be filled. 24‘For I tell you, none of those men who were invited shall taste of my dinner.’”

Oh you holy masters of scripture........ Who got INVITED and WON'T taste the dinner?

12. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

No problem with the above, but please don't assume that the believer is living Christ's selfless life of agape. The believer is still a sinner in need of both Christ's imputed and imparted righteousness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.