1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Galatians 5

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by JamesJenn, Jun 21, 2001.

1. JamesJenn

JamesJenn New Member

The Bible talks a lot about a man being circumcised as in verse 3. What does that actually mean? Another question is in verse 4 talking to the people justified by the law Ho w can a person be fallen from grace?

2. JamesJenn

JamesJenn New Member

I don't know James maybe somebody else will help out some

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I think it is pretty simple. Circumcision is the same then as it is now. What Paul is addressing is the people at Galatia who were attempting to subject NT believers to part of the OT law by forcing circumcision on them. Paul is reminding the NT believer at Galatia that they are free in Christ and illustrating the unity of the Law by saying that if you keep any of it you have to keep all of it. I fear his point is missed on many today who have divided this indivisible Law into various categories (not delineated in Scripture) and have said that we must keep a part of the OT Law as believers. Paul said is you keep any you have to keep all of it. He goes on to warn against libertinism in v. 13 for those who would suggest Paul was antinomian.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Galatians 5:1-6 <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>99.9% of the new christians in the Galatian churches were former Jews. There obviously was an attempt to get these Jews "back in line" by unsaved Jews who added obedience to the Law of Moses to their faith in Jesus as the Christ. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Both a real and figurative sense implied (since most adults had already been circumcised) the idea was "putting yourself back under the Law of Moses". If you try to "add" works to being "saved by faith", you are not truly born again. Gotta be one or the other. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Circumcision was just one outward physical act of submission to the Law of Moses; the implication is then that you must obey it all to gain righteousness with God (which of course is an impossibility). This will leave you outside the grace of God. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>For those who "said" that they trust in Grace through Christ, then went back to keeping the Law of Moses, they "made ineffective" the Grace-alone concept by adding works. (BTW, fallen away is one of many translations of this word; note I chose "made ineffective" as a better and less confusing phrase). <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>But by faith we eagerly await through the Spirit the righteousness for which we hope.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Again the stark contrast between those who truly trust (hope = trust) is FAITH as opposed to those who "talked" about it, but returned to Law-keeping for salvation. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Faith in Christ is what counts - it is the action of the truly born-again heart. Outward rituals (circumcision, baptism, eucharist, penance, etc) HAS NO VALUE.

Hope this adds to your thinking through this passage.

5. JamesJenn

JamesJenn New Member

Thanks for everyone's insight. This BaptistBoard has been so helpful.
    Steven