1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GAME: Players First Names

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Dr. Bob, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many players in professional US sports have some really "unique" first names. Thought we might just list some for fun.

(I do notice most are minorities and wonder if the parents are seeking some unique name/spelling as an identification?? Don't see too many Bob, Phil or Steve)

Mewelde Jaem Cadere Moore, NFL Vikings

2. Kaleidoscope

Kaleidoscope New Member

Chukky Okobi, NFL Steelers

Muhammed-Kabeer Olarewaju Gbaja-Biamila (I have no idea what his first name is :rolleyes: ), NFL Packers

3. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

My favorite: PuddinHead Jones, infielder in 50's for the Phillies.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Got curious about the Minnesota Vikings (a favorite team of this Minnesota boy)

Look at these "odd" first names from ONE team . .

Daunte Culpepper
    Shaun Hill
    Antoine Winfield
    Mewelde Moore
    Onterrio Smith
    Donatarrious Thomas
    Raonall Smith
    Jermaine Wiggins
    Kenechi Udeze
    Keenan Howry

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My first reaction to this thread was along the lines of "So what?" But giving it a little thought, it does seem there are proportionately more "unique" sounding names among professional athletes than among any sample of people I have ever known personally. That might lead one to consider if a person given a "unique" name compared to an 'average' sounding name [that's relative, but it can be deciphered generally] all his life feels he is more unique than the "average Joe," and therefore self-expectations are higher and he is more determined to meet them than the average Joe is to meet his lower expectations, and that that does make a difference. I don't know if this can be proved or disproved, as many pro athletes, including "stars," do have 'average' sounding names, too. But somewhere, with a ceratin few, it might have made the 0.5% difference between pro ability and just missing it.

6. NateT

NateT Member

Priest Holmes KC Chiefs
    Chini Ahounatou Dolphins - until about 2 weeks ago(phonetically spelled first name)

7. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How many of these names are NON-AMERICAN names? And how many have CHANGED their names, such as did Mohammed Ali and Ahman Rashad, to name just a couple? And World B. Free, & Scientific Mapp

My fave: GOD SHAMGOD, who starred at Providence, played a little in the NBA, and is now, I believe, playing for a Chinese team. far as I can find out, that's his REAL name.

8. Kaleidoscope

Kaleidoscope New Member

Whoa. VERY whoa! :D