1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GAP: Theory or Fact

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Accountable, Aug 23, 2007.

1. standingfirminChrist

Bias Post!!!:laugh::wavey:

2. standingfirminChrist

The gap theory contains no history because there was no gap.

3. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Just because the physical evidence lines up with what the Scriptures say, that's no reason to reject traditions of men! (May I now remove my tongue from my cheek?)

4. standingfirminChrist

There is no physical evidence to even suggest a gap.

5. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

He tells us that he will shorten them in the Revelation. Why in one and not the other? (BTW, this also does not negate the possibility of idiomatic usage.)

About the only two mainstream theories of creation that are not permitted by Scriptures is that of natural evolution and an absolute six day creation. I personally think that the restoration was six literal days, but the text does not demand that.

Another BTW, the teaching that the spirit and soul are the same thing is the teaching of natural evolution, and this fallacy was not introduced into the church until the idea of natural evolution took hold. The Bible teaches that man is body and soul and spirit; natural evolution teaches that man is a body and soul or spirit.

6. Lazarus

Lazarus New Member

A case can certainly be made for the Gap theory.

Ps 19:1 ¶ <<To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.>> The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.

If we look to the heavens we see millions of galaxy's. Without the Gap theory, how do you account for them. The light from these galaxy's take millions of years and more to reach earth.

If the "heavens declare the glory of God" is it possible that what we see is not the truth? If that's the case then how could the heavens Glorify God?

7. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

This is found in the book of First Opinions, chapter SFIC.

8. standingfirminChrist

That does not prove the gap theory. All it proves is God is the Creator.

God spoke, it happened.

9. standingfirminChrist

You can't prove the gap theory so you result to nonsense? Par for the course.

10. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

I only have a couple of things to add to this discussion.

I believe in a gap too.

I believe the 6-day Creation in genesis was a recreation. Often when the Bible speaks of a creation, it is indeed a recreation.
    There are two main reasons why I personally hold this belief.

1) Twice in Scripture the bible uses the term "without form, and void."

The only other time, besides Gen 1:2 is
    and is a prophesy of a condition, directly after a (future) cataclysmic judgment of the earth.

I believe if we let Scripture define our terms, we have strong evidence for a Pre-Adamic World which was destroyed by a cataclysmic judgment.

2) I see the word replenish in my King James Bible.

2a) The word "Replenish" means to "plenish" AGAIN!

2b) The word is NEVER used according to definition #2 in the Bible. It always means "to fill again". The very next time is (suprise) directly following a cataclysmic judgment of the earth.
    and the next (Isaiah 2:6 )
    and the next (Isaiah 23:2)

Coincidence? We are talking about the God who commanded us to compare Scripture to Scripture.

When I was a kid, I used to go to an old Holiness church. I heard the preacher say a million times, "If God told 'em to REplenish it, then it musta done been plenished before.

BTW. I am also a Young Earther. I believe it is both. The re-creation was in six literal days, and the Luciferian cataclysm was of Cosmic proportions.

#90 Lacy Evans, Aug 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2007
  11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Has anyone noticed that the only ones who believe in the gap theory are the ME guys?

Just an observation.

12. Lazarus

Lazarus New Member

I beg your pardon? I am not nor do I believe in ME!!!!!

That's the point, God spoke millions of years ago. God recreated 6,000 years ago.

13. standingfirminChrist

There is no Scripture that states or even infers such nonsense!

14. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

Well. There you have it. A succinct, point by point, Biblical rebuttal.

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I do apologize. :1_grouphug:

16. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Don't forget Isaiah mentions NEW creation, clearly not the same thing.

There are two main reasons why I personally hold this belief.

2. And this passage from Jeremiah should serve as an interpretive grid for Gen.1:2? What in Gen.1:2 necessitates such?

3. The word "replenish" in the KJV is the Hebrew male and simply means "fill, fulfill, or be filled."

4. I suggest you consult a Hebrew lexicon.

17. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

I thought the same thing. (No offense lazarus)

Weird huh?

I don't know if anyone else has read "Earth's Earliest Ages" by GH Pember.

BTW. Please don't confuse Gappers with Day-Agers. I rather doubt that it was "Millions" of years. I believe that most (most probably all) of the fossil evidence is evidence, not for a gap, but for a Universal flood (Noah). My "Gap evidence" is from the Scriptures.

And like someone said before, it could have been 20 years.

18. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

Just comparing Scripture to Scripture.

It never means that in the KJV.

I respectfully have no use for such things. I think the overwhelming fruit of the KJV speaks for itself, and I daresay the KJV translators more that likely knew what the word meant.

BTW, they translated it RE-plenish.

PS It wasn't like they were too stupid to translate the word "Fill".

They had that word at their disposal. You're debate is with the KJV translators and not me.

#98 Lacy Evans, Aug 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2007
  19. Accountable

Accountable New Member

I thought it came from Thin Air Chapter 2.

20. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

At Genesis 1:28 here are four versions of the Bible:

1. NASB: "God blessed them; and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over every living thing that moves on the earth" (emphasis mine).

2. KJV: "And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth F6 upon the earth" (emphasis mine).

3. NKJV: "Then God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth" (emphasis mine).

4. NIV: "God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground" (emphasis mine).

Only the KJV has "replenish." All the other versions translate male "fill" and they knew what they were doing.