1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GAP Theory

Discussion in 'Creation vs. Evolution' started by Salty, Oct 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You mean "your posts." It is a possessive pronoun, not a contraction for "you are." And no, it is not my fault you fail to understand. I have explained it to you several times. I have reduced it to the simplest forms and still you fail to understand it. You Google information from the web and post it and claim it refutes my argument when, in fact, you failed to understand what you copied and pasted as the writing was saying exactly the same thing I said!

I have dumbed them down as much as possible. I have explained over and over and you refuse to listen.

Your lack of academics is not my fault.
    The "punks" I dealt with as a Bible College and Seminary professor for over 25 years at least had a modest understanding of what they were talking about which is more than I can say about you.

2. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Bravo. I go back and correct those errors constantly. hate when eye due that.

Actually academics might be your biggest problem. Every kind of error and heresy comes out of these institutions. Only about a dozen seminaries teach young earth creationsim. The rest compromise.

You'd think it's the other way around. You'd think the academics who bring us gap theories and day age theories and theistic evolution and the like would be the ones protecting us. Yet seminaries are cesspools of theological error, with the added ingredient of arrogance. You demonstrate this quite nicely.

3. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a much and ongoing disputed subject. When writing on Darwin's faith, he concluded that evolution was a direct denial of belief.

Warfield wrote, "Thus the doctrine of evolution once heartily adopted by him (Darwin) gradually undermined his faith, until he cast off the whole Christianity as an unproven delusion." (Charles Darwin's Religious Life: A Sketch in Spiritual Biography". As republished in The Presbyterian Review. 9: 569–601. 1988.)

On what most Christians base their accusation of Warfield being an evolutionist was his statement in his 1889 review of The Life and Letters of Charles Darwin where he said "There have been many evolutionists who have been and have remained theists and Christians." But he was not one of them. :)

4. Calminian

Site Supporter

Exactly. He was merely part of the slippery slope that lead to where Princeton is today—where you get your thinking on gaps in the genealogies.

5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    InTheLight Said....

No, I didn't say anything of the sort. The entirety of my posts in this thread is:

Hammer. Nail.

Here we go again. You're confusing me with someone else. I'm beginning to think you don't like me. LOL!

6. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's what he does.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And there is another post you utterly failed to understand. :rolleyes:

8. Calminian

Site Supporter

I don't dislike you. I just just disagree with you. And I have not mixed up your post with anyone's here. Cassidy said he believed there was room for a gap. That's what I was responding to, post#25.

9. Calminian

Site Supporter

As I'm sure AiG, CMI ICR and all others have. I trust you looked at the articles I provided on genealogies and Warfield and others? Maybe just for ridicule sake you can take a peak.:rolleyes:

10. Calminian

Site Supporter

BTW, here's Dr. Barrack. He has no problem using the term "young earth."

And I have a feeling the guys at DTS don't either.

11. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    People can see for themselves, even if you can't.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

12. Calminian

Site Supporter

oh shoot, just got it. yes, you're right, I did it again. it's what happens when this rapid fire stuff happens. you answered a post meant for another. it happens.

there, satisfied?

In my defense, he has made similar statements.

Fair enough? I've been very honest and forthcoming about these mistakes when they've happened. It think it happens to everyone. Is it really something you have to impugn me over?

TCassidy, my apologies. ITL has pointed to one of his posts I confused with yours. If you can forgive that, I'd be much obliged.

#52 Calminian, Nov 19, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  13. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Taking about this post where you got me confused with TC.

[​IMG]

14. Calminian

Site Supporter

Yes, I see it now. See above. I do appreciate the correction, and it did cause me to draw some wrong conclusions. Apologies extended.

15. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quit trying to blow smoke. Had you bothered to pay attention to my posting in regard to this years meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society you would have noticed I was there and participated in many of the presentations.

In fact, I was in the session when Dr. Barrick presented his paper on "Divine Persons in Genesis: Theological Implications" on Tuesday afternoon.

I did miss the session on Thursday moderated by Dr. Barrick on the Chronology and the Genesis 5 & 11 Genealogies. I had a long lunch with Dr. Robinson and a group from a Textual Criticism blog, then attended a reading of a paper by Stanley Porter on Why a Greek-text Orientated Commentary Series is Necessary along with Dr. Robinson. The paper addressed the issue of a Commentary Series on the Septuagint and why it was important to comment using the Greek LXX text.

So, if you are going to cite an expert you don't understand it might be a good idea to not cite one I spent time with last Tuesday.

16. Calminian

Site Supporter

Er, your posting on what? Yes, I missed it. I suppose that means I'm just not paying enough attention? Forgive me if I don't have time to study all your posts. I'm assuming you're speaking of a different thread. As you know, I'm a JCL.

Mr. Cassidy, please just answer these few questions, so as to clear up any misunderstandings I might have about your position. I'm not blowing smoke. It's possible that me thinking the ITL post was from you caused me confusion. And yes, it's my fault.

Regardless of genealogical gaps (which is not a huge issue), do you hold to young earth creationism? IOWs do you hold to the entire universe being made say, 6K to 10K years ago?

Do you believe Genesis 1:1 happened approximately 6K to 10K years ago? Or do you believe its occurrence is unspecified in regard to all other dating information (genealogies, etc.) in the Bible?

Fair enough. Would you describe yourself as a young earth Creationist as Dr. Barrack does. And even if you don't like the term, being too relative, do you essentially believe what young earth creationists believe (apart from their critiques on guys like Hodges and Warfied.)

I'd be much obliged if you'd clear this up for me. It'll just take simple yes/no answers.

17. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Different authors stated diferent things on him, as he was not buying evolution at all, but seemed to buy the billion of years the evolutions held to, so that is why some se him leaning towards Theistic views...

18. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would depend on your definition of "young."

I have no biblical evidence to suggest otherwise.

I have no biblical evidence to suggest otherwise.

As I don't believe the ethnologies are genealogies and that Genesis does not specify when creation took place, I cannot be dogmatic. When God says something, I believe it. When God is silent on a subject so am I.

That would depend on who I was talking to, and that person's definition of "young."

That would depend on what young earth creationists believe. As far as I know there is no universally held position by those self-identifying as young earth creationists.

As I limit my understanding of spiritual truth to spiritual things, such as the bible, I cannot be dogmatic about the age of creation.

Could it be 6,000 years? Yes. The bible doesn't say.
    Could it be 10,000 years? Yes. The bible doesn't say.
    Could it be 100,000 years? Yes.The bible doesn't say.
    Could it be 1,000,000 years? Yes. The bible doesn't say.
    Could it be 10,000,000,000 years? Yes. The bible doesn't say.
    Could it be 4.5 billion years? Yes. The bible doesn't say.

But judging from other indications I would be very surprised to find creation is older than 10,000 to 100,000 years.

19. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apology accepted.

Are you using the Reply button when you reply to someone and want to quote them? If not, you should. It will stop the mis-quoting of others.

20. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is exactly where I'm at in this argument. I don't worry about it too much.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.