1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gap Theory

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by christianasbookshelf, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Winman

Winman Active Member

Give me a break. You criticize my opinions which I have been very forthcoming about, but are reluctant to expose your own beliefs to criticism. I call that a win-win proposition if there ever was one. If you are going to criticize my beliefs, then let me hear what you believe.

No, if ID does not meet your personal opinion of what true science is, that is fine. But apply the same standards to secular and evolutionary science. They also engage in much speculation and conjecture as the articles I showed proves. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

ID is testable in the sense that complexity argues design and a designer. You have heard the old example, if you were walking on the moon and found a wristwatch, that would argue that an intelligent being had been there before you. You may not call that science, but anybody with a lick of common sense would come to that conclusion.

Many secular scientific theories do meet the criteria. But many do not like dark matter as I showed in that article. But many theories based on pure speculation are taught as fact in schools and universities every day.

Fine, but neither then is secular science because much of it is also based on unproven speculations.

All I'm saying is be fair. Apply the same standards to both. If ID is not scientific, then neither is evolution.

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I'm not criticising your beliefs, I'm criticising your factual claim, notably, in regards to ID as science. ID isn't science because it does not adhere to the scientific method, nor does it attempt to. That's a fact, whether one likes it or not.

In regards to my beliefs, beliefs hasn't been a topic of discussion here.
    I've been doing exactly that.

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

If ID is not science, then neither is evolution or the big bang theory and many other scientific theories.

I am not going to continue this, you clearly hold Creationism and ID to a higher standard than secular science which also does not meet scientific criteria according to your own definition.

4. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    He gave no indication of that but did clarify what is expected of science. Science has done a lot for mankind. Why dis it?

5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I came across an article this morning that might pertain to the Gap Theory while looking at "The Bible and Interpretation" web site.

I'm not a 'Gapper and don't give that theory (or this one) much credence but...

First Verse Of Bible Was A Translation Mistake, Professor Says
    by Dirk Vlasblom [Published: 9 October 2009 12:28]

Rob

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting thread.

So interesting, I have started a poll - click here

Salty

ps Bob in post # 5, as other with similar thoughts have stated that no one died before Adam, therefore that proves there is no gap theory.

Why would someone have to die to have a gap theory? Could it be that the earth was void and without form for an undermine amount of years?

7. Carico

Carico New Member

No. 1 Corinthians 4;6 "Do not go beyond what is written." In other words do not make any assumptions about what scripture does not say.

Genesis 1 is talking about the fact that God created the universe and man. Genesis 2 talks about how he created man and woman. Genesis 1 tells us that God created man on the 6th day. So there's no reason to add to the bible that Adam was thousands or millions of years old at the time of the fall which is not only ludicrous, but impossible as well.